Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

CRD loss of power?????

Old 04-08-2009, 09:19 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CRD loss of power?????

anyone with a diesel engine experience a momentary loss of power when the engine is cold. its happened to me a few times on my way back from skl at the end of the day. when i put my foot down it almost misfires and jerks as if the engine had cut out then the power comes back on. it does it about 3 or four times, then its fine. it doesnt happen any other time, just after its been started for about 5 mins after.
weird thing is it has only happend in town, on my way home(60mile daily commute) never when ive started from cold at my house maybe it doesnt like the dingy car park

so any thoughts as to what it might be? im not to familiar with new diesel engines so i cant really say, although i have a few possibilites
1. water in the diesel (dont ask how but its a jeep anythings possible)
2. some sort of throttle problem/electric?
3. just need to heat up (i dont "floor it" when its cold)
4. something to do with the turbo

anyways i did call the dealler and they are USELESS at doing anything(called them 1 month ago and still havent heard- have been reminding them aswell) so i thought i would see what ya'll think
thanks for any input
Old 04-08-2009, 09:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

don't know much about the CRD at all sorry but i can tell you i wish i had one.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:30 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by scotlandjk
anyone with a diesel engine experience a momentary loss of power when the engine is cold. its happened to me a few times on my way back from skl at the end of the day. when i put my foot down it almost misfires and jerks as if the engine had cut out then the power comes back on. it does it about 3 or four times, then its fine. it doesnt happen any other time, just after its been started for about 5 mins after.
weird thing is it has only happend in town, on my way home(60mile daily commute) never when ive started from cold at my house maybe it doesnt like the dingy car park

so any thoughts as to what it might be? im not to familiar with new diesel engines so i cant really say, although i have a few possibilites

anyways i did call the dealler and they are USELESS at doing anything(called them 1 month ago and still havent heard- have been reminding them aswell) so i thought i would see what ya'll think
thanks for any input
I have the shitty american 3.8 but it sounds to me like your number 1 could be a very likley culprit. Just remeber that the water may not be in the fuel, you could be getting condensation in your airbox/intake/even turbo and it could cause that problem. The water getting into the cylinder will cool the charge sufficiently that as the cylinder compresses on the charge stroke that the fuel will not ignite. The glow plugs are susposed to aid in the fuel ignition until the engine reaches operating temperature so i would consider checking those too.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:06 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 09rubicon
I have the shitty american 3.8 but it sounds to me like your number 1 could be a very likley culprit. Just remeber that the water may not be in the fuel, you could be getting condensation in your airbox/intake/even turbo and it could cause that problem. The water getting into the cylinder will cool the charge sufficiently that as the cylinder compresses on the charge stroke that the fuel will not ignite. The glow plugs are susposed to aid in the fuel ignition until the engine reaches operating temperature so i would consider checking those too.
yeh that was my main thought but not sure why it would be condensing how could i go about eleiminating moisture out of the above places?
the car park is covered and is normally quite damp so i guess it could be that. my jeep is never garaged and is always exposed to the elements so maybe thats what my jeep likes
Old 04-08-2009, 12:37 PM
JK Jedi

Have you added any powerchip/programmer???

Have you been replacing your Fuel filter regularly (10-15K kilometers)??? I change out my fuel filter every 10K kilometers....call me anal but that fuel filter looks nasty dirty when I do pull it out. This helps drain out any water within the fuel system as well.

Have you been adding Diesel fuel cleaner or lubricants. I am not sure if this is big deal with the CRD with the LSD (Low Sulfur Diesel). I know it can be an issue with my 04 Dodge Ram CTD as I regularly add diesel fuel additivies for lubrications due to the LSD.

Is your Air filter clean???? Your turbo and motor could be starving for air.

Have you looked at your lift pump???

I think it could be your lift pump causing you issues. This was a common issue with the 03-05 5.9L Cummins Diesels. I know I had similar issues at start up and loss of power was a sign of the liftpump failing on my Dodge Ram Cummins Turbo Diesel.

If it is your liftpump failing unless you can get it covered under warranty by Jeep....I would consider an aftermarket liftpump...they last longer and have better warranty.

Another thing to look at is maybe your injector pump going and this can be pricey...but it does not sound like the injector pump.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:04 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TripleJeep_99
Have you added any powerchip/programmer???

Have you been replacing your Fuel filter regularly (10-15K kilometers)??? I change out my fuel filter every 10K kilometers....call me anal but that fuel filter looks nasty dirty when I do pull it out. This helps drain out any water within the fuel system as well.

Have you been adding Diesel fuel cleaner or lubricants. I am not sure if this is big deal with the CRD with the LSD (Low Sulfur Diesel). I know it can be an issue with my 04 Dodge Ram CTD as I regularly add diesel fuel additivies for lubrications due to the LSD.

Is your Air filter clean???? Your turbo and motor could be starving for air.

Have you looked at your lift pump???

I think it could be your lift pump causing you issues. This was a common issue with the 03-05 5.9L Cummins Diesels. I know I had similar issues at start up and loss of power was a sign of the liftpump failing on my Dodge Ram Cummins Turbo Diesel.

If it is your liftpump failing unless you can get it covered under warranty by Jeep....I would consider an aftermarket liftpump...they last longer and have better warranty.

Another thing to look at is maybe your injector pump going and this can be pricey...but it does not sound like the injector pump.
the jeep is bone stock with regards to engine transmission and suspension. its got just over 8000 miles on it, its an 07 model but was registered oct last year. it was sitting for about a year in "storage" near london by JEEP until i bought it. so i have over 2 years/ 28000miles left on warrenty.

as regards to fuel filter, is that the cylindrical black thing if you remove the rear tail light? i did have a look at it but i cant figure out how to get it out.
not sure what a lift pump does/ where it is. so i cant really comment and not additives added but i might fill it up with shell v-power diesel(expensive)
thanks for your opinions i shall hassle the dealer with these new ideas.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:54 PM
JK Jedi

the jeep is bone stock with regards to engine transmission and suspension. its got just over 8000 miles on it, its an 07 model but was registered oct last year. it was sitting for about a year in "storage" near london by JEEP until i bought it. so i have over 2 years/ 28000miles left on warrenty.

as regards to fuel filter, is that the cylindrical black thing if you remove the rear tail light? i did have a look at it but i cant figure out how to get it out.
not sure what a lift pump does/ where it is. so i cant really comment and not additives added but i might fill it up with shell v-power diesel(expensive)
thanks for your opinions i shall hassle the dealer with these new ideas.
I am not that knowledgeable on the 2.8 CRD, but have some knowledge on the Cummins Diesel. The cylinder black canister should be your Filter. There maybe a lever that will allow you to drain this canister of the diesel fuel & any water. This is where your filter will be. I am not certain on the location, your best bet is to google it for a diagram or photos of the location.

A lift pump is a fuel pump for the diesel and normally is located outside the tank and again I can't help you with the location...but they can test the output of the lift pump to ensure it's running normal.

I just noticed you had your Diesel CRD JK sitting for about a year.

Did this start acting up on you after it has been sitting for about the year. From what I read with the ULSD shelf life is at most 3-6 months. I am thinking your Diesel fuel left in the tank deteriorated.

Without question diesel fuels have heavy particles which will settle out of the fuel the longer it sits unused. As you start up after it sitting for a year you will start using up the heavy particles which will clog filters and gum up injectors. Once the motor gets through the heavier particles the the lighter particles will go through; they are missing the carbon particles so your equipment will seem not perform well - lack of power. As well with the older fuel the Diesel does deteriorate over time, apart from being a fuel oil its most important function is to lubricate the pump and injectors

I would get a Diesel conditioner it's very inexpensive but be careful. Some have high alcohol content which can dry out seals. Typically alcohol based products will indicate to use very small quantities to treat a 100 gallons. Petroleum based products typically use a quart to treat around 100 gallons.

If you store it again for a long period be sure to Fill your tank on the last fill before parking that way the fill process will mix the conditioner help with deterioration of the Diesel fuel.

In colder climates like here in Canada, some of the conditioners help the fuel from gelling.

Like you mentioned I would Run some Ultra diesel & change your filter and after 1 or 2 tanks change your fuel filter again to ensure your filter is not clogged.

Hope this helps out.

Last edited by RevyJKU08; 04-08-2009 at 04:57 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

I thought we weren't letting these diesel guys post here any more because it was making us jealous

I so wish we could get a diesel
Old 04-09-2009, 02:25 AM
JK Freak

thanks guys i shall check all the filters and have the dealer do a check of the pump. as regards to the storage, i did not actually own the jeep until oct 2008, but chrysler had a bulk shippment when the wranglers were first released and they were sitting around until people bought them. mine was a june 2007 build date which means it was in the hands of chrysler for over a year until i bought it(oct 2008). i wish i could of got a 2008 model but i got a good deal almost 1.9 USD to 1GBP
any help on the loctation and what to do with these filters would be nice pics would be even nicer
cheers again
Old 04-09-2009, 03:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

thanks for any input
always let it warm up and diesels tend to have personalities

Quick Reply: CRD loss of power?????