Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Critters in the Engine Compartment

Old 07-10-2018, 08:50 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Critters in the Engine Compartment

Been having some electrical issues and mechanic has found 2 mice nests under the TIPM unit and many wires chewed up - will have to replace 2 wiring harnesses............
Old 07-10-2018, 09:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My daughter was driving down the road when she lost all electrical in her F-150, at 60 mph! Luckily she was able to get it into a parking lot without incident. Turned out mice had chewed wires in the engine compartment.

Could be worse, at least no one was injured. I feel for you tho.
Old 07-10-2018, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 355 Likes on 331 Posts
Default Critters

Hello Jeepers.. a week ago Toyota won a class action lawsuit .. it was about critters chewing up the wiring on their vehicles.. the wiring insulation was composed with SOYBEAN based material -- due to environmental regulations.
Suggest check it out.. not sure Jeep uses this type of insulation. The court ruled that critters chewing wires is not a mfg defect.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:21 AM
JK Newbie

At least my insurance will cover the repair cost minus my deductible.
Old 08-02-2018, 08:50 AM
JK Newbie

$2600 later (2 wiring harnesses and the tipm replaced) back on the road!
Old 08-02-2018, 10:43 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,585 Posts

Originally Posted by shiny1
$2600 later (2 wiring harnesses and the tipm replaced) back on the road!
That's total cost, not what you were out of pocket right? Insurance picked up everything after your deductible?
Old 08-03-2018, 06:29 AM
JK Newbie

Total cost which insurance covered except my $500 deductible. Am using dry Coyote urine sprinkled around the vehicle at home as a deterrent and friends have recommended Irish Spring soap in the engine compartment and the mechanic recommended Bounce sheets - not sure if any of those will work.................
Old 08-03-2018, 01:31 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by shiny1
Total cost which insurance covered except my $500 deductible. Am using dry Coyote urine sprinkled around the vehicle at home as a deterrent and friends have recommended Irish Spring soap in the engine compartment and the mechanic recommended Bounce sheets - not sure if any of those will work.................
None of the home remedy suggestions worked for me. Mothballs, soap chips, funky smelling sprays from home depot, even tried Honda rodent tape. (was hopeful the tape would work, sounded interesting). I ended up buying a big ole rat trap and putting it in front of the battery. And, no more squirrels chewing cables, battery, battery terminals, everything they could chomp their teeth into.
Old 03-28-2019, 08:25 PM
JK Newbie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I found a new plastic snap trap to place under the back seat after mice got into a five pound bag of birdseed. It was EVERYWHERE - the glove box was nearly full, and I'm still finding more. These traps are less sensitive than the old type, so they aren't affected by bumping on the roads. I caught two mice, and that seems to bethe end. I've had no problems in the engine area.
Old 03-29-2019, 07:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a big problem with packrats. I have two Jeeps with two Rid a Rat lights in both and a strobe light under both, so far no problem. Not so lucky with my F-350 with Rid a Rats and strobe. A rat built a nest on the engine and my mechanic had to remove the intake manifold to clean it all out. I bought some spray for the engine compartment months ago and have not had one come back. I keep the hood open about a foot. I tried Irish Spring soap, they chewed on it. I have had rat damage 8 times on my vehicles that are not garaged but not the Jeeps which are never garaged.

Quick Reply: Critters in the Engine Compartment