Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Cruise Control Inoperable. Mechanic needs some help.

Old 12-11-2015, 02:17 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cruise Control Inoperable. Mechanic needs some help.

Hello all, I have been researching this problem for around 4 months now. I have tried a bunch of stuff. I need your help. This is frustrating because I am a mechanic by trade, but I am a General motors mechanic. It's difficult for me to get any good diagnostic information on jeeps. I bought my jeep 6 months ago. The cruise never worked. I had a P0581. I diagnosed the 3 circuits and found that my switch was the culprit. I put a speed (cruise) control switch in (the one on the steering wheel). The code went away. I've unhooked my battery several times, even overnight a few times. The "CRUISE" light on the dash will not turn on and no codes are present. I can start my jeep, turn the wheel all the way left and then all the way right 3 times; shut it off, then restart the engine and the "CRUISE" light will turn on when commanded. It will stay on indefinitely until I start to drive, then at a few MPH it turns off. I am needing your help on this one. If you want/need any more info from me, let me know. I'd really appreciate some backup on this one. My jeep is a 2008 Wrangler "X" 2 door with the 3.8L manual windows/locks/t-case if that helps. Also, I notice no other irregularities with the vehicle: speedo jumping around, lights flickers, random warning lights. I have never seen the ABS or traction lights on. My traction control does work and when I turn it off, it does turn off.
Old 12-11-2015, 05:13 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Cruise control issues usually trace back to a faulty clockspring. Typically you'll receive a code related to the module indicating the steering angle sensor is off, abs lights, or a combo of both.

It's a pricey gamble, but probably one I'd do. The cruise control stitch you bought was probably $140, the clockspring is just under $200.
Old 12-11-2015, 05:33 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Not even sure this will work for you... but as crazy as it sounds... honk your horn for like 5 seconds and then see if the cruise works.
Old 12-11-2015, 06:42 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jedg
Not even sure this will work for you... but as crazy as it sounds... honk your horn for like 5 seconds and then see if the cruise works.
While rubbing your tummy clockwise with your right hand and tapping your head with your left hand..... lol
Old 12-11-2015, 08:27 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by robsjeep9
While rubbing your tummy clockwise with your right hand and tapping your head with your left hand..... lol
You're an idiot

It's counter clockwise...
Old 12-12-2015, 02:13 AM
Super Moderator

Hey. It actually worked for me. The cruise and the radio controls on the steering quit working. Found a post saying honk the horn for 5 seconds. Everything started working.

Not sure if that's a clockspring or a TIPM symptom but it worked.
Old 12-12-2015, 02:58 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Joe_B
You're an idiot It's counter clockwise...
Bahahahaha ..... My bad
Old 12-12-2015, 02:59 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jedg
Hey. It actually worked for me. The cruise and the radio controls on the steering quit working. Found a post saying honk the horn for 5 seconds. Everything started working. Not sure if that's a clockspring or a TIPM symptom but it worked.
Just teasing bro... All in good fun
Old 12-12-2015, 03:22 AM
Super Moderator

Just teasing bro... All in good fun

Yeah, no worries. I freely admit that it sounds like BS. hahahaha
Old 12-14-2015, 06:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

testing the clocksprimg would be my choice.. if the CC switch already was bad, sounds like it has gotten left out in the rain at one time or another in its life, which it seems the clockspring is a fairly common failure from moisture..

-Christopher

Quick Reply: Cruise Control Inoperable. Mechanic needs some help.