Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Danger , out of gas

Old 04-22-2017, 12:35 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Danger , out of gas

Has any one had an issue with their JKU run out of fuel on a big hill even though they still half a tank left?

This has happen to me twice now, both time in very tricky circumstances. When the engine stalls the power assisted brakes fail and you have no holding power, Scary stuff!
This has happened to my Rubi when doing extreme off roading, once when wheeling with a Club and then again last weekend.

The first time this happened I was hung up because a chose a bad line and waited to be recovered and had the car idling so I maintained my power assisted brakes, then the engine stopped after about 5 to 10 minutes while a recovery was being set up. The car was on a server angle tilted nose down toward the drivers side (RHS). Then again this weekend while wheeling at Land Cruiser Mountain Park, Qld Australia. I was doing a recovery of a Nissan Patrol that couldn't get to the top of a step climb, I went to the top of the hill then did a U turn back down the hill, stopped nose down and connected my winch to the Patrol and a recovery strap to a tree back to the rear of my car to stop me being dragged down the hill. I winch the Patrol out and up but then just as the recovery was completed my car stalled. "Out of Fuel" again because of the server down hill angle of my JKU. All the fuel was at the front of the tank and no fuel at the rear pick up point.

Has any one had this issue before, any thoughts or have you heard of a fix on how to correct it, have you installed a header tank. And I don't think it's becasue I'm on the bottom of the world so the car is upside down.
This is a serious scary and dangerous issue that needs a fix.
Old 04-22-2017, 05:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It hasn't happened to me and I've seen JKs on some pretty serious inclines that kept running. Subscribing to see what you find
Old 04-22-2017, 06:23 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like a fuel pump or related issue.
Old 04-22-2017, 11:26 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by zstairlessone
It hasn't happened to me and I've seen JKs on some pretty serious inclines that kept running. Subscribing to see what you find
The only issue with the fuel pump is there's no fuel at that end of the tank to pump when on a steep incline.

Has any one taken a JK fuel tank out and seen if there's a baffled area to prevent the fuel from following to the front end away from the pick up point?
Old 04-23-2017, 01:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

Have had mine on some really intense angles leaning forward and back. I feel like there have to be baffles in it. It almost sounds like someone at the factory dropped a stick and left something out on yours.

It happens. Mine was 2/3 low on manual transmission fluid from the factory! Idk!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo697.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	342.1 KB
ID:	670749   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo778.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	670750   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo957.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	670751  
Old 04-23-2017, 09:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tjkamp
Have had mine on some really intense angles leaning forward and back. I feel like there have to be baffles in it. It almost sounds like someone at the factory dropped a stick and left something out on yours. It happens. Mine was 2/3 low on manual transmission fluid from the factory! Idk!
Man, that looks like the rocks around Mason and Voca, nice 2-door!
Old 04-24-2017, 02:02 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by tjkamp
Have had mine on some really intense angles leaning forward and back. I feel like there have to be baffles in it. It almost sounds like someone at the factory dropped a stick and left something out on yours.

It happens. Mine was 2/3 low on manual transmission fluid from the factory! Idk!
Because you have a 2 door JK this issue may not occur unless your car was on a greater angle with less fuel in the tank. As seen in your photo #1 with the car facing down hill only is where I have an issue but you would need to let it sit there for about 5 to 10 minutes before the engine stops from lack of fuel. That's when I have the issue with my 4 door JK Unlimited Rubi running out of fuel.
If I then get recovered onto a less of an incline or roll down onto a less of a slop the fuel pump quickly gets fuel pumped back to the injectors and the cars starts straight away.

Quick Reply: Danger , out of gas