Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Dash Lights all on, no longer starts

Old 02-28-2021, 07:07 AM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dash Lights all on, no longer starts

Hello guys, I am really at a loss here. I have only two weeks left before I trade this thing (my new JLUR is built!) in and she's completely dead. A couple of weeks ago on my way to work, it started acting crazy: all the lights came on, dinging, delayed starting. It progressively got worse. The engine fan came on at 100%, speed/rpm/temp gauges stopped working. Once I got home and parked her, she stopped starting up completely. I can't pull a code with my ODB because it says no communication. When I did manage to get the codes, I got:

U0168
U0161
U0121
U0100
U0001

And most importantly: U110A "communication to steering column module is faulty lost communication with SCM can-c"

I've checked my battery connections, verified my battery is good (it is new, 1 month), checked ground connections. This past Friday I received the new TIPM from TipmRebuilders. I put it in and immediately my engine fired up and I was able to drive it to work. But it had a code for Ambient Temperature Sensor (P0073). By the time I go to work, it was dinging and going crazy again. When I got home it was completely dead and won't start.

Any ideas on what I can check next?
Old 02-28-2021, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator

Received 471 Likes on 423 Posts

Maack - welcome to the forum. Hope you update us on the new Ruby you are getting. I can't have one because I am too hard on the panels in the bush lucky mine are steel.
I just stated this in an earlier thread in the last two weeks - U codes are all about Canbus issues. Somewhere a twisted pair of wires are either corroded, loose or broken. You probably need to get a good repair shop to put it on the scanner as that will most likely find or narrow the problem down a bit. Can-c is one of the networks so if you get diagrams you can follow the wires on that network which could narrow the search.
Old 02-28-2021, 12:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Rubicon? I've seen where some have disconnected the auto sway bar disco unit and had theirs fire right back up.

Mine did something similar. I never did try the sway bar disco because I didn't know about that then. I wound up with a new PCM. I had just installed a new alternator and allegedly the new alternator fried the PCM. So I got another alternator, under warranty, and paid for the new PCM.

Let us know what you find. That was the only time in 13.5 years and 150k miles that my trusty JK ever left me stranded.
Old 02-28-2021, 08:47 PM
JK Newbie

So, back in October, the dealer had to replace the head & camshafts. I'm assuming they had to remove, or partially remove, the entire engine to get this (based on the labor cost, $2500!). I think when they put things back together they either (1) knocked a ground wire loose, (2) disconnected a ground wire and didn't reconnect it tight enough, (3) I have a can-bus issue.

I went out today and used a jumper cable to hook the negative up DIRECTLY to the frame of the Jeep. It fired right up. No check engine lights. After about 30 seconds everything started flickering again. I basically need to find a wiring diagram or someone who has removed the JK's engine to see if there was a ground wire or wire connection that could've been knocked loose in the process of them fixing my engine. Or, it could've come back to life with complete dumb luck.

This off-topic, but this is the cam lobe: https://i.imgur.com/1xnOmzC.jpeg :O

Edit: I'll disconnect the swaybar.
Old 03-01-2021, 09:35 AM
JK Newbie

I have an update on this. I connected a jumper cable from the ground on the battery to the body of the Jeep. Started right up. No check engine light, instant start. About 1 minute later, the oil light starts to flicker, dinging, every light comes on. Turn off, everything goes away, starts right up. Works fine. Now it's waiting about 5-10 minutes before it starts acting up.

Could this be the new TIPM? I have a new one on order should be here at the end of the week.

If anyone has a schematic of where all the ground wires are, I would greatly appreciate it!
Old 03-01-2021, 09:54 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Sixty4x4
Maack - welcome to the forum. Hope you update us on the new Ruby you are getting. I can't have one because I am too hard on the panels in the bush lucky mine are steel.
I just stated this in an earlier thread in the last two weeks - U codes are all about Canbus issues. Somewhere a twisted pair of wires are either corroded, loose or broken. You probably need to get a good repair shop to put it on the scanner as that will most likely find or narrow the problem down a bit. Can-c is one of the networks so if you get diagrams you can follow the wires on that network which could narrow the search.
Just got word that it is on the train, hoping by the end of this week we will have a firm date. Excited. Not excited about the JL's manual transmission issues, but whatever.

No luck finding a diagram. I want to check all the ground wires before I go and drop the Jeep off at the dealer.

Old 03-01-2021, 11:20 AM
JK Newbie

Another update. I let it run for around 40 minutes. All the lights came back on and it won't start again. Resetting the TIPM right now and going to schedule with the dealer to let them fix it. I'm stumped :(
Old 03-02-2021, 04:19 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by dmwil
Rubicon? I've seen where some have disconnected the auto sway bar disco unit and had theirs fire right back up.

Mine did something similar. I never did try the sway bar disco because I didn't know about that then. I wound up with a new PCM. I had just installed a new alternator and allegedly the new alternator fried the PCM. So I got another alternator, under warranty, and paid for the new PCM.

Let us know what you find. That was the only time in 13.5 years and 150k miles that my trusty JK ever left me stranded.

That's my sway bar connector. Fixed the issue. Thank you so much. You have no clue how stressed I was with all of this. And you potentially saved me thousands.
The following 2 users liked this post by MaaacK:
cydnub (01-05-2024), Mark Doiron (03-03-2021)

Quick Reply: Dash Lights all on, no longer starts