Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

dealer flushed heater core twice still no heat on drivers side

Old 11-01-2010, 02:54 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dealer flushed heater core twice still no heat on drivers side

Has anybody had this problem????

I searched the threads and found nothing...

I noticed last fall that the heat was very hot on the passenger side of the vehicle (defrost, vent and floor), but on the drivers side it was substantially cooler... it was blowing plenty of volume but the heat was not there.

I brought it to a dealer, and they said the gates were working fine, but the heater core was plugged... They flushed it and it seemed to fix the problem.

But now it's back... I'm in Maine and the temperature is starting to drop again... I brought it in and they found the gates to be working just fine and they again flushed the heater core... This time it didn't work at all. It was still blowing substantially cooler on the drivers side and hot as heck on the passenger side. They said they fixed the problem, but it's still here.

Needless to say, I will be bringing it right back in the morning... But has this problem happened to anyone else? Any suggestions?

To add to the issue... I am no longer under warranty. This latest work was started just before the warranty expired, so I should have no problems getting it fixed on their dime, but it's still very irritating.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

if in fact the heater core is plugging up, that would bother me the most on a vehicle so new... a little sand or such in the block of a brand new vehicle can be expected. but not twice and not in such short time in service....

maybe one of the passages in the heater core is partially crushed causing the issue?

if you get in behind the glove compartment with the heat turned on high (and high fan).. that one of the metal tubes for the heater core is significantly cooler than the other?..

if so that indicates low flow through the heater.. but if both tubes are good and hot i would begine to suspect something else.... such as a piece of weatherstripping missing around the heater core causing cold air to blow around the heater and not through it...

-Christopher
Old 11-01-2010, 03:16 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it's called a blend door, when it blows hot on one side and not the other, usually is a blend door problem.

this happened to a few people last year. if i remember correct, it is a major fix. requires taking entire dash apart for a stupid piece of plastic. search "blend door" you might find some stuff wth that
Old 11-01-2010, 08:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by captjay
it's called a blend door, when it blows hot on one side and not the other, usually is a blend door problem.

this happened to a few people last year. if i remember correct, it is a major fix. requires taking entire dash apart for a stupid piece of plastic. search "blend door" you might find some stuff wth that
Yea heard about this one. Why would a dealership flush out a heater core, not only once but twice on a vehicle that is blowing hot air on one side?
Old 11-01-2010, 08:41 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lorrel
Yea heard about this one. Why would a dealership flush out a heater core, not only once but twice on a vehicle that is blowing hot air on one side?
no idea, i honestly feel a lot of dealers just don't know about it or they might be starting simple and working their way through. but personal opinion, that is not a technician, that is a parts changer. changing out everything until they get it correct. but if i remember correctly from last year, there may have been 1 or 2 other solutions, but i think that was another type of heating problem.

it seem to be this was the cause of the heat on one side problem was a broken blend door, might be called a gate also, cant remember if that was 2 different parts. i would have to do more searches, but i know there were a few threads on it in late 2009 to 2010
Old 11-02-2010, 01:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by captjay

That was me Captjay
Definately not the heater core...it took my dealership two complete system chemical flushes and a new heater core install to figure out it was simply a broken blend door. My heat has been a blasting furnace from all vents since this occured last fall!
Old 11-02-2010, 04:44 AM
JK Super Freak

looks like you got your answer. hopefully, the dealer doesnt hassle you about it being warrantied since they started trying to fix this issue while under warranty.

Trending Topics

Old 11-02-2010, 01:46 PM
JK Newbie

Default We'll see...

Brought it in today and they were on the fence as to whether they thought the heat was acceptable or not... The problem is that it is less noticeable on the vents and the defrost. It's very obvious to me when it's on the floor. With the comments people have made on here about how hot the heat is, I know there is an issue... When it's 20 degrees outside, my feet freeze.

They said they'd look into it a little deeper tomorrow morning so I'm keeping my fingers crossed...
Old 11-02-2010, 03:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

they were on the fence with me as well and even provided some bogus temp readings at each vent. Even my hand could feel the dramatic difference. Mine was literally split down the middle with HOT on the passenger side and Cold ( not warm ) on the Drivers side. They were confident it was the heater core even though i knew that was not the issue since i was getting blasting heat from the passenger vents...i let them replace it anyways cause i got a brand new heater core for free It finally got to the point where i made them go out on the lot to start a used Jeep and feel the blazing heat that these hell furnaces can produce. I then proceeded to go off on the safety aspect of how the windshield was freezing up so bad during heavy snow that i could not safely see the road and i was going to call Chrysler Canada myself. Next day i had a brand new blower assembly installed and got my furnace back

the following is what was written on my invoice:

cause: plugged heater core and heater box warped ( which caused the blend door to break )
1 68004193AB core
1 68004191AB housing

All in all this poor diagnossis led to:
5 days worth of rental car coverage paid by the dealer
new heater core
2 chemical flushes
15 litres of anti freeze
a/c dicharge and recharge
new heater box

i now can feel and even hear the blend door closing and opening when i move the temp selector dial.

Hope this helps a bit and good luck!
Old 11-02-2010, 03:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just adding to the heater comments...I'm new to the Jeep world and I am amazed at the amount of heat that comes out. I thought maybe something was WRONG! Good luck with the fix.

Quick Reply: dealer flushed heater core twice still no heat on drivers side