Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Dealer wants to Replace Engine Wiring Harness (~$2k)

Old 05-03-2016, 11:09 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer wants to Replace Engine Wiring Harness (~$2k)

After 2 weeks of troubleshooting at the dealer, they want to replace the wiring harness to the engine to the tune of ~$2K. I'm not assured that this will resolve the issue causing the jeep to stall/misfire (crankshaft position sensor code). Is a Jeep ever the same after the engine wiring harness is replaced? Is this just the beginning of a wiring issue nightmare? BTW, I had the head replaced previously (2012 model).

My buddies are suggesting I cut my loses and trade the Jeep in for a newer Jeep. Thoughts?
Old 05-03-2016, 11:48 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow. I would buy it and do it myself before paying that much. I'm not sure what is involved but it wouldn't be any splicing as all the connectors should be there.

Looks like they're less than $400. I'm not saying this is the one you need, it's just the first one that came up in my search.

ENGINE HARNESS | Genuine Mopar | 68081221AI
Old 05-03-2016, 07:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Captaintight
After 2 weeks of troubleshooting at the dealer, they want to replace the wiring harness to the engine to the tune of ~$2K. I'm not assured that this will resolve the issue causing the jeep to stall/misfire (crankshaft position sensor code). Is a Jeep ever the same after the engine wiring harness is replaced? Is this just the beginning of a wiring issue nightmare? BTW, I had the head replaced previously (2012 model).

My buddies are suggesting I cut my loses and trade the Jeep in for a newer Jeep. Thoughts?
I would trade it in I had a few of the harness and tipm replaced and I have more problems then when they started I have the lifetime warranty if you get a new Jeep I would get the Chrysler lifetime warranty and not the third party one but then again what good is the warranty if they can't fix it. My dashboard now goes in and out no instruments or lights they blame the battery because it's not a Mopar battery and the battery shop blames the Jeep. I guess eventually I'll have to get a Mopar battery even though this one's brand new

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20160503_221022.png
Views:	293
Size:	287.8 KB
ID:	645953

Last edited by DonP; 05-04-2016 at 03:54 AM.
Old 05-07-2016, 04:59 AM
JK Newbie

Easy enough do try yourself for a few hundred. No guarantees that it works though. Fwiw I had this issue with mis-fires and cut my losses. The $ lost was way less than the headache and future problems. Good luck!
Old 09-12-2016, 06:23 PM
JK Newbie

Default @Captaintight

I have the same exact issue. What ended up happening with you?
Old 09-12-2016, 11:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had this issue on my 07, I bought the harness off line from a dealership and had my local shop install it, it was about $400 total. Didn't fix my problem though, misfire, ended up trading it in on my '15.

Quick Reply: Dealer wants to Replace Engine Wiring Harness (~$2k)