Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Death Shimmy - Anyone else experienced it?

Old 02-19-2008, 05:01 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Death Shimmy - Anyone else experienced it?

2007 Sahara Unlimited
Manual
6800 Miles
Completely stock: wheels, tires and suspension

Tonight for the second time since I've had this vehicle I experienced the "Death Shimmy".

I was driving along on a highway going between 50-55. Went over some uneven pavement while making a soft turn. The vehicle begun to SHIMMY!!!!! I mean I thought I was going to loose control. The entire vehicle was shaking. I was in the left lane in commuter traffic and it was so noticeable there immediately cleared a path for me to get right to the shoulder. As I pulled over a police car pulled in behind me. He had witnessed my problem and said " it looked as if the wheels were going to come right off". I was headed his way so he actually followed me at low speed in the right-hand lane for about 10 minutes until I exited the highway.

This happened once before - months ago - also on uneven pavement on a highway in a soft turn. I had it checked out then, but the dealership found nothing wrong. Nothing needing correction.

This is my daily driver and I have two small kids so this situation is doing nothing to enhance my comfort level.

Has anyone else had similar experiences and more importantly can anyone suggest what might be causing this problem and what I might do to correct it.

Thank you.
Jeep4
Old 02-19-2008, 05:38 PM
JK Junkie

check here...

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/stock-death-wobble-22767/
Old 02-20-2008, 07:14 AM
JK Newbie

Thank you BaltChief

Quick Reply: Death Shimmy - Anyone else experienced it?