Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Death wobble after a lift

Old 08-15-2019, 11:46 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Death wobble after a lift

Ok so I have a 2007 jku I have had a new drag link, tie rods, track bar, ball joints, stabalizer, ujoints, all have been replaced within 1500miles I have new rims and milestar 33x12.50 with less than 1000 miles on them. I took the jeep for a lift a rough country 2.5 inch lift I have had no death wobble at all I drove to the dealer doing 75 on the highway no wobble. Had the 2.5 installed left the dealer went about 4 miles while doing 40ish had a shimmy which I didnt have before. I then hit a bump with the right tire and I had a major major major death wobble. Any help at all would be great. I went back told them the problem they wanted to install a duel stabilizer I said no. I said take it off go back to stock but I have 720 involved yes it had an alignment as well. Any help please

Last edited by Shannon75; 08-15-2019 at 11:48 AM.
Old 08-15-2019, 12:21 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,600 Posts

Considering it literally just had the lift installed and 4 miles later you had the wobble, the most obvious culprit is bolt(s) that didn't get torqued down, most likely the TB bolts.
Old 08-15-2019, 12:59 PM
JK Newbie

I thought the same but they said they never needed to touch the track bar bolt so I dont know. I am a little concerned its my sons jeep he is 18 and he has my other kids with him at times so it scares the shit out of me thinking if this happens will he know what to do. We have talked about it but till it happens who knows

Last edited by Shannon75; 08-15-2019 at 07:13 PM.
Old 08-16-2019, 02:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

If they didn't touch the trackbar bolts when installing as they claim, I'd be very afraid of any work they do. Pretty much they changed the suspensison geometry without letting the track bar bushinggs relocate to the new position in relation to the lift that was installed. Whenever you change the suspension geometry you should have the trackbar and control arm bolts loose and jounce the suspention to let tit settle, then tourque the bolts while the weight of the Jeep is on the ground. I'm guessing they didn't do tis and now you have a bound up suspention that's causing issues.
Old 08-16-2019, 02:50 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Yeah, what Ghost JK is saying above is spot on. The problem now is that with each incident of DW, there may be additional damage caused by it. The force of the wobble can round out holes, making DW that more likely. That's why it's important to fix it ASAP, and minimize driving the vehicle until it is fixed.
Old 08-16-2019, 09:32 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

A lot of times you have to unbolt the TB just to get enough droop out of the axle to easily slide new taller springs in. I've not done a 2.5" lift, so not certain if possible to squeeze em in without disconnecting that TB. With 3.5", there's no way.
Old 08-16-2019, 01:15 PM
JK Newbie

Called rough country they said to have an alignment again and have it at 4-6 degrees positive caster and it shoild be fine mind you its a 2.5 inch lift the dealer said it needs new caster bolts as they dont have an adjustment on them any help please I feel like money will just be thrown at it for something else. They seem like its a reputable dealer just not getting info
Old 08-16-2019, 01:16 PM
JK Newbie

I am thinking I just want it put back at stock amd say screw it
Old 08-16-2019, 01:28 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

DW isn't a caster thing. I'll continue with the loose bolt theory. The best thing to do is just check things yourself with a 1/2" drive, 2' torque wrench to be honest. Caster is going to be a little low with a 2.5" lift, but that isn't the cause. At this point, removing the lift isn't going to solve the wobble cuz if it's not a bolt, it's a couple joints.....and swapping springs and shocks back to factory won't change that unfortunately. If you were local, I'd be happy to help you out....but you're a bit far away from Texas. Not clear if you do have cam bolts at this moment or not. If you do, they need to be verified tight as well.
Old 08-16-2019, 01:37 PM
JK Newbie

Ok thanks for the advice if its not loose bokts ie track bar what joints could it be amd area to look at

Quick Reply: Death wobble after a lift