Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Did I screw up real bad or am I overreacting?

Old 09-22-2013, 04:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Did I screw up real bad or am I overreacting?

So I went to wash my recently bought (from a used car dealer) 2010 wrangler last night. Foolishly I used a power washer similar to this one ... Click image for larger version

Name:	powerwasher.jpg
Views:	506
Size:	8.5 KB
ID:	499384... set on the pinpoint spray instead of the wide spray on the nozzle. Luckily I started with the bumper and not the painted body panels. Well... it stripped off some of the black off of the bumper. Just a small part.

DId I just powerwash off some kind of black bumper refinishing product? Or did I REALLY screw up?

Edit: I finished up washing my jeep with the wide-spray nozzle setting and had no problems with the rest of the bumpers and paint job.
Old 09-22-2013, 04:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You probably ate the plastic, luckily the factory bumpers are cheap (or free) and very easy to replace.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cg07sut
You probably ate the plastic, luckily the factory bumpers are cheap (or free) and very easy to replace.
Well, when i looked closely... there wasnt any permanent damage to the plastic. Just a color change (faded black vs shiny black). I recently took off the front silver cover (that comes on saharas) and behind it was the same faded color.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:23 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As an additional note, don't use high pressure water when washing a car! It's brutal on your paint. Also forces debris into the paint surface. I cringe every time my neighbor washes his new $50k car with a pressure washer.
Old 09-22-2013, 06:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
As an additional note, don't use high pressure water when washing a car! It's brutal on your paint. Also forces debris into the paint surface. I cringe every time my neighbor washes his new $50k car with a pressure washer.
How else am I going to get the bugs off?
Old 09-22-2013, 06:30 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Dirtymoney

Elbow grease
Old 09-22-2013, 07:02 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by MoyDib
Elbow grease
I find liquid windex especially effective in removing bugs on the vehicle.All it does is strip the wax (but not harmful to the painted serfaces...
Old 09-22-2013, 07:09 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I gots a bumper fer you.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dirtymoney

Bug and tar remover........ also works great on baked in brake dust that has sat on painted wheels...... that is my biggest pet peeve.... please wipe that stuff off your wheels before it turns orange.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:05 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like the bumper may have been painted.. Some peeps apply a coat of plastic dip which goes on a flat black color or maybe a rustoleum black. If it was painted with plastic dip then it well peel off if you rub your nail over the peeled part. Whereas if it was sprayed with normal paint it would be harder to take off and most likely chip off you try to remove it. Good luck Augi

Quick Reply: Did I screw up real bad or am I overreacting?