Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Door Ajar Sensor?

Old 11-19-2019, 04:11 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door Ajar Sensor?

I've seen a few posts on this, so it seems to be somewhat common, but haven't really found any clear fixes.

When I open the drivers side door, the sensor is not detecting it, so the dome lights aren't going on and the radio isn't turning off. The harness seems solid, the latch appears to be fine. It's tough to narrow it down because it sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. Anyone have any experience with this?

This is an '14 JKU btw...
Old 11-20-2019, 04:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got a similar ish issue - TPMS light on. Start car then open and close any door it still says "door" on the dash... all harnesses check out and it seems to only happen when the tpms low light is on. Also a 2014
Old 11-20-2019, 07:51 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,834 Likes on 1,603 Posts

My understanding is the latch mechanism itself is what senses the status of the door. Assuming the harness is firmly attached and pins are making a good connection, seems the latch might be a bit suspect. Do you notice this happens only with the driver's door, or have you tried to duplicate it opening the passenger door instead? Jahamm's issue seems even more strange.....as though it's more TIPM related somehow. Those 2014 wiring harnesses were a big improvement over previous models too.
Old 11-20-2019, 08:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by resharp001
Jahamm's issue seems even more strange.....as though it's more TIPM related somehow. Those 2014 wiring harnesses were a big improvement over previous models too.
ill just wait until my TIPM blows up and then fix it can we discuss the name of that part...what company has the word Totally as a part of the name for a part like this?!
Old 11-20-2019, 09:01 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Jahamm - curious, can you recreate that at will if you drop a tire below the threshold? I'd be interested to hear what someone like @ronjenx thinks about your issue. I think every time I see this subject come up it seems much more straightforward like the OP's.
Old 11-20-2019, 09:26 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
My understanding is the latch mechanism itself is what senses the status of the door. Assuming the harness is firmly attached and pins are making a good connection, seems the latch might be a bit suspect. Do you notice this happens only with the driver's door, or have you tried to duplicate it opening the passenger door instead? Jahamm's issue seems even more strange.....as though it's more TIPM related somehow. Those 2014 wiring harnesses were a big improvement over previous models too.
It's only on the drivers door, which would make sense as that would see the most use as opposed to passenger doors. I wonder if I can try just spraying some WD40 to see if that does the trick. I can't tell what exactly would be getting stuck in there. It's also tough when it's not consistent.
Old 11-20-2019, 09:36 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by MusicMaverick
I wonder if I can try just spraying some WD40 to see if that does the trick. I can't tell what exactly would be getting stuck in there. It's also tough when it's not consistent.
I can't say that I am familiar with what the latch device looks like torn apart, or how it operates, but I'd guess that maybe there is a contact that is dirty or obstructed. I wonder if contact cleaner might be more appropriate if you could find where to spray it. Hopefully someone else will chime in. I try to make mental note of these threads as my jeep gets a bit older........
Old 11-20-2019, 09:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

@resharp001 its one of those things that if you get in, start the car and dont open a door it stays off but once running if you open and close any door it stays on. if you restart the vehicle it goes away. it also causes odd EVIC stuff to happen(only have the basic EVIC, its a sport). missing decimals, ODO not changing mileage until you hit the trip button etc... hasnt really been TOO much of a bother but this thread made me think of it.
Old 11-23-2019, 04:38 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

If it's reliable to give you a problem every time it's running I would borrow someone's door to troubleshoot if it's the latch mechanism or the computer.
Old 11-26-2019, 04:03 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by DKehler
If it's reliable to give you a problem every time it's running I would borrow someone's door to troubleshoot if it's the latch mechanism or the computer.
Unfortunately, it's not consistent enough to troubleshoot.... Sometimes when I open the door, the Jeep won't detect it (radio off, dome lights on) for 5sec, 20sec, 30sec, and sometimes it will detect it right away. Can't really troubleshoot with such infrequency at this point, so was hoping someone else has had this issue that I can just skip right to the fix.

Quick Reply: Door Ajar Sensor?