Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Door rattle

Old 11-08-2010, 10:57 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door rattle

On my 2009 I fixed the door noise by wrapping electical tape on the strikers, and it worked great. Anyone out there know if the new JK's have the same problem. Just trying to be prepared when I take delivery to do the little things right off.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:35 AM
JK Newbie

Sorry, this may be stupid, but what do you mean by "strikers"? I have that same annoying rattle every time I hit a bump and would like to fix it without going to the dealer. Thanks
Old 11-08-2010, 12:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BlueSubmarine
Sorry, this may be stupid, but what do you mean by "strikers"? I have that same annoying rattle every time I hit a bump and would like to fix it without going to the dealer. Thanks
He means the metal loop in the door frame that the latch in the door connects to when you close the door.

I had the same problem on the driver's door. The dealer did a TSB that lubed the latch. It worked for a few weeks, I then wrapped a few turns of electrical tape just in the spot where the latch hits it, and it's quiet now.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:35 PM
JK Newbie

I have the same rattle!!!!! Drove me crazy, until the black tape trick. Then I rigged up a hoist so I could take the hard top off....funny thing happened when I put my top back on...rear passenger door now has same rattle, and the rattle from the driver door is gone. I have the top off at this time, when I put it back on I am going to adjust the location of the top(although there isn't alot of wiggle room for adjusting) but it MAY be the reason for the rattle!!! Doors striking different. Just a thought.....
Old 11-08-2010, 05:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Duck tape matched my silver door jams, wraped all of the door latches 3 months ago and took care of the noise
Old 11-08-2010, 06:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Yup...tape seems to be the best fix for this
Old 11-08-2010, 11:56 PM
JK Newbie

Red face

x3 on the tape method....worked fine for me
Old 11-09-2010, 01:01 AM
Former Member

Or why not do the proper repair.
Use a pencil to mark where the striker plate is at then loosen the bolts and relocate the striker farther inward. Don't be afraid to snug the bolts up tight. Do small increments at a time marking as you go along and test for a few days.
I found the factory torque (unmeasured) was a little slack when I did this years back.
Had no rattle when new but it appeared over time. Since re-adjusting the striker and tightening up real good (unmeasured) I haven't had any rattle.
This has allowed me to save my tape for electrical work and tying up ducks...I meant to say sealing up ducts.
It also stops the H2/3 & FJ folks from snickering when you open your doors.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:51 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed, the strikers are adjustable for that very reason. Just grab your faithful wrench and spend a couple minutes adjusting it to correctly latch. Couldn't be easier.

Sent from my SPH-M900 using Tapatalk
Old 11-09-2010, 06:43 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by BlueSubmarine
They are the little gizmos that the door latch onto when you close the doors.
Open the door and look on the pillar and you will see a little D shaped metal thing. You wrap that with tape and the rattle goes away.
that is till you need to redo the tape...

Quick Reply: Door rattle