Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Driver Side door lock not working

Old 02-13-2019, 08:49 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Driver Side door lock not working

This morning I went to get in my jeep and the driver side door electric lock did not work, I had to use my key. When I got the door open, and the jeep started, it did not even say "door" on the dash. The window works and my passenger's side door lock works, as well as the dome light and window and the "door" on the dash. This is not a huge problem as I can still use the key, but it is a little annoying the dome light not coming on. The lock switch on the door does not work either; it will not allow me to lock or unlock the other door.

I have a 2007 JK X 2-Door.

Is this a fuse or an electrical issue? Or is it the door lock itself that is bad?

Update 2-17-19:
I checked the connector for loose pins, even wiggled it a little. Results I got was that the dome light and now the driver's side is shown on the dash to be open. The electric lock works on the driver's side, and locks/unlocks the passenger side and gate. The M38 Fuse was not blown. My key will still unlock/lock the passenger side and gate remotely but no avail to the driver's door. I did get the driver's side door to lock but that was only once. I also even took a look at the plug inside the jeep its self and it was in good shape. I do not hear a click or any noise from the driver's door when I try to unlock/lock it with the remote and the switches. (Even got a stethoscope to listen) I am hoping that I do not have to take it to a stealership or rebuild/replace the TIPM.

So here are my questions for now: Should I try to take a look at the lock itself? or try dielectric grease on the connector?

TL;DR: Tried some things, didn't get results.

Last edited by HGFitz; 02-17-2019 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Update
Old 02-13-2019, 08:55 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Considering the age of the jeep, I would say the actual lock actuator isn't out of the question. Are you saying that the jeep recognizes when the door is open/closed? When you open the door, the dome light comes on? Unless you've been fiddling around with the door harness, I think it's unlikely the pin for the particular locking function slipped out of place.
Old 02-13-2019, 08:59 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
Considering the age of the jeep, I would say the actual lock actuator isn't out of the question. Are you saying that the jeep recognizes when the door is open/closed? When you open the door, the dome light comes on? Unless you've been fiddling around with the door harness, I think it's unlikely the pin for the particular locking function slipped out of place.
The jeep does recognize when the passenger door is open/closed and the dome light will come on. However for the driver side it does not. I haven't really fiddled with the harness for a few months as the doors have been on for a while. Could it be possible that my foot could have hit the harness just right?
Old 02-13-2019, 09:05 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Originally Posted by HGFitz
Could it be possible that my foot could have hit the harness just right?
Doubtful. I don't know what the harnesses on the early models were like. I know on my '13, the pin for my electric window is really picky, and can slide out of place from time to time (doors are on/off a decent bit so the harness get's messed with a bit). Not likely that a pin randomly moved. I need to do a little digging myself as my driver side has a delay recently. The jeep takes a couple seconds to recognize the door has been opened. I've not researched that before so will look around a bit. I would think that functionality has more to do with the actual latch mechanism than the locking actuator. I'll dig a bit and post if I find anything. Subscribed in case someone else chimes in with easy answer.

Since it's free, I guess it might be worth looking at your wiring harness. Here is a link to an old thread I had about my window -

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-e...solved-337996/

**I'm gonna edit this post about 20 times today The more I think about it, that problem was the pin itself, but what was causing the pin to slide out was the wiring was getting stretched as the door opened, so, although I don't think your foot hitting it might have done something, I guess you're opening the door often, and maybe the wire just got stretched a bit. Worth a look.

Last edited by resharp001; 02-13-2019 at 09:15 AM.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:13 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
Doubtful. I don't know what the harnesses on the early models were like. I know on my '13, the pin for my electric window is really picky, and can slide out of place from time to time (doors are on/off a decent bit so the harness get's messed with a bit). Not likely that a pin randomly moved. I need to do a little digging myself as my driver side has a delay recently. The jeep takes a couple seconds to recognize the door has been opened. I've not researched that before so will look around a bit. I would think that functionality has more to do with the actual latch mechanism than the locking actuator. I'll dig a bit and post if I find anything. Subscribed in case someone else chimes in with easy answer.
I have look into it but all I could find is that it was a pin or the lock it's self. I did have to replace a fuse about a week ago because my windows did not work. I will look at the fuses, I am thinking it might be J4 (Driver Door Node) or M38 (Lock/Unlock Motors).
Old 02-13-2019, 09:16 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

I'd guess the door connector or wiring. If you're missing the lock, dome light, and door ajar warning, I think that's too many systems to fail independently that just happen to run through one harness. I'm surprised you have a functioning window. I'd check to see that the connector is properly seated and see if that wiring harness is pinched or abraded anywhere.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:25 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by icrashbikes
I'd guess the door connector or wiring. If you're missing the lock, dome light, and door ajar warning, I think that's too many systems to fail independently that just happen to run through one harness. I'm surprised you have a functioning window. I'd check to see that the connector is properly seated and see if that wiring harness is pinched or abraded anywhere.
I fiddled around with the connector and wiring, I didn't look at the wiring. However I did not look at the wires themselves. Now the dome light comes on and it says "door" for driver's side. The fuses are not blown. So I am regretting that it is the lock it's self.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Unplug the harness from the plug, inspect the pins, and clean it out good, and reinstall it with some dielectric grease.
Might just fix your problem
Old 02-13-2019, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Door lock actuators are a common failure on the JK's and will give you the symptoms you're experiencing. I've had to replace 2 door lock actuators on my 2009.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:17 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Rednroll
Door lock actuators are a common failure on the JK's and will give you the symptoms you're experiencing. I've had to replace 2 door lock actuators on my 2009.
Originally Posted by jdinny
Unplug the harness from the plug, inspect the pins, and clean it out good, and reinstall it with some dielectric grease.
Might just fix your problem
Originally Posted by icrashbikes
I am beginning to expect the wiring, however, upon my inspection, the connector looks fine along with the wires are in good condition. But I now have noticed after playing with it it will unlock/lock if I press the buttons on the fob a few times (about 4 or 5). So should I try the dielectric grease or take the trim off and look inside.

Quick Reply: Driver Side door lock not working