Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Driveshaft boot

Old 05-09-2012, 01:57 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driveshaft boot

Good afternoon all. I have torn part of the boot that covers the front part of my driveshaft. It is the part where the driveshaft slides back and forth as the jeep twists. What I would like to know, is this a critical repair or can it wait until I get back to my shop and tools? I am in Moab now running the trails but I don’t want to cause ant greater damage to the driveshaft. I have a 2008 Rubicon 4 door.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:50 PM
JK Newbie

It should be just fine. I ran mine with a torn boot for almost 6 months before my driveshaft finally broke. I don't see any reason it wouldn't hold up until your home.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:08 AM
JK Newbie

Had my front driveshaft replaced recently (warranty, torn grease seal). 2 months later the front ring clip on the boot comes loose and tears part of the boot in the process. Dealer WOULD NOT replace the shaft. I took the boot off. Think about it, conventional driveshafts don't have boots. I've seen no evidence of grease being jettisoned (it's a slip joint; not much there). If this one craps I'll upgrade, but for now it's working fine.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by M4M
Had my front driveshaft replaced recently (warranty, torn grease seal). 2 months later the front ring clip on the boot comes loose and tears part of the boot in the process. Dealer WOULD NOT replace the shaft. I took the boot off. Think about it, conventional driveshafts don't have boots. I've seen no evidence of grease being jettisoned (it's a slip joint; not much there). If this one craps I'll upgrade, but for now it's working fine.
I had my drive shaft boot shred and my jeep is all stock

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1019883577.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	315288
Old 12-25-2012, 09:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Doing a search today to get info on this repair. Changing oil last weekend and noticed grease flung in a pattern under the JK which quickly led me to the boot/seal at the rear of the front drive shaft. 50k miles and just returned from Hot Springs, AR where we did some minor off roading. Couldn't guess when it bagan to come apart. Another add to the list of things to do.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just remove the whole boot and clamps otherwise you will get vibrations and you will be good in the drive shaft I noticed you have an 08 did you get the unlimited power train warranty. Chrysler ordered me a new drive shaft i have a 111,k when they ordered it.have fun.

Quick Reply: Driveshaft boot