Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Driving with no sway bar.........good/bad?

Old 08-05-2012, 08:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving with no sway bar.........good/bad?

Ever since I went off roading a while back, well long story short: I had to take off my front sway bar because I bent one of the stock links and the sway bar was rubbing on some parts that prevented me from steering.
Any way I have been driving like this for quite some time now and was wondering if it is a good idea to be driving like this. The Jeep does seem more "squirly" now but I have gotten used to it and I make sure I dont make any sudden turns.
I see no reason why it should be a bad thing, right?

Any way my Jeep has a 2.5 inch lift, I guess the stock links were too short?
I did buy some Teraflex quick disco's but when I bought them it seemed I got the wrong parts so I went to where I bought (4x4 wheel parts) them and they didn't even know what was wrong, so they called Teraflex and they said I had to remove the bushings in order for it to fit. I was like WTF it wasnt even in the instructions, I dont even have anythhing to remove them so I got pissed and got my money back and went home.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:35 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Blackmetal
Ever since I went off roading a while back, well long story short: I had to take off my front sway bar because I bent one of the stock links and the sway bar was rubbing on some parts that prevented me from steering.
Any way I have been driving like this for quite some time now and was wondering if it is a good idea to be driving like this. The Jeep does seem more "squirly" now but I have gotten used to it and I make sure I dont make any sudden turns.
I see no reason why it should be a bad thing, right?

Any way my Jeep has a 2.5 inch lift, I guess the stock links were too short?
I did buy some Teraflex quick disco's but when I bought them it seemed I got the wrong parts so I went to where I bought (4x4 wheel parts) them and they didn't even know what was wrong, so they called Teraflex and they said I had to remove the bushings in order for it to fit. I was like WTF it wasnt even in the instructions, I dont even have anythhing to remove them so I got pissed and got my money back and went home.
Well, if you drive like you should, there shouldn't be any issues with driving disco'd. I'm pretty sure CJ5's don't even have sway bars unless you install one, and those are squirrely as all hell. There will probably be a bit more wear and tear on your steering components as the stress on them will be from speed and momentum, rather than flexing. Keeping that in mind while you're driving, and not taking corners at 70 mph will most certainly increase your life expectancy if you're driving with no swaybar.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drove an XJ with no rear sway bar and a front sway bar with quick discon's. There is more than one occasion I forgot to reattach the swaybar and drove around for a week or two.

The jeep will have serious body roll, so you'll want to take it slower in sharp corners, and try not to make sudden moves. As far as bad I'm sure its hard on stuff, but many people do it.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

When you say "hard" on things (no pun intended) you mean like the shocks and stuff?
Old 08-05-2012, 08:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shocks, springs, steering components. I never had anything fail as a result, but I'm sure its not impossible.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm not sure what the liability issues would be if you had an accident with the front disconnected?? If you had to swerve suddenly the front outside corner would dive taking load off the inside rear wheel which may cause you to spin out ?? Would be interesting to try in a safe location on wet ground to compare handling differences, anyone own a skid pad
Old 08-05-2012, 09:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

For what it's worth I also have the Teraflex quick disconnects. You are correct, pushing the metal bushings out is NOT part of the instructions. But someone on the forum straightened me out and they simply pushed out by hand, no tools required.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:30 AM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

I wouldn't run for long without a sway bar. Pick up some jks quick discos and be done
Old 08-06-2012, 05:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

While its fine and dandy to drive fine without a sway bar, it's a safety device. Not just for ride comfort. If you're on the highway and an idiot, deer, debris ends up in front of you, you are sure to rollover. If you must swerve. Especially with a lift. If you want to hurt yourself, fine, but don't risk hurting others.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:30 AM
JK Freak

I think it's pretty dangerous to leave it out. Your really asking for a roll over. CJ7's had sway bars, I'm not sure about CJ5's. Plenty of CJ's have rolled, and they didn't give you the false sense of security about being able to cruise down the highway @ 70-75.

Quick Reply: Driving with no sway bar.........good/bad?