Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Electrical gremlins

Old 03-28-2017, 06:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical gremlins

I have a 2013 JKU and since day one it's had annoying electrical gremlins.

The problem: interior and exterior lights display a faint flicker when engine is running, flicker gets brighter and noticeable in cold weather or when accelerating. Sometimes, when accelerating out of my driveway (cold weather only), the radio will shut off momentarily and come back on. And still, the flicker is noticeable.

I immediately thought battery or alternator but those seemingly checked out fine. Is it a bad ground? How do I even begin to search for that?

Thanks all!
Old 03-28-2017, 08:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a loose wire or a corroded connection Check the battery first then work your way around the jeep checking all the ground wires
Old 03-28-2017, 09:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

I know this sounds silly but where am I following these wires to? I checked the battery terminals and they are fine but from the battery they sorta disappear into the engine bay....
Old 03-28-2017, 09:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My guess is with the lights dimming and the intermittent power interruptions that you have a bad connection or corrosion at a connection causing the problems you could also have a bad battery. Finding the problem is going to be a pain in the ass as most electrical problems are. I personally would start with the battery and replace it with a known good one then check and clean the battery connections.
Old 04-01-2017, 06:59 PM
JK Freak

Had that issue in another vehicle, ended up the alternator was dying. Have it and the battery checked out, it can be done while still on the vehicle

Quick Reply: Electrical gremlins