Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Emergency brake issue *long post great detail*

Old 06-25-2011, 04:35 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emergency brake issue *long post great detail*

I have a question about the Emergency brake. I know how to adjust it etc. But here is what I am curious on. I changed brake pads on my jeep probably 10-12k miles ago maybe a little less. Anyways It held find I just had to pull the emergency brake lever almost all the way up to the top so it would hold on an incline. Anyways about a week or two ago it all of a sudden started to hold much better for no reason. I did not adjust anything just pulled it to stop it from rolling when I got out like I have done a million times in the past and it worked much better. The brake caught at about the halfway point from where it used to. So I just used a floor jack lifted up the rear of the jeep so the back tires were hanging freely. I put some gloves on and turned the tires by hand without the emergency brake on. Then I put the brake on to the same posistion when I use it to stop it from rolling on hills. I then tried to turn the driver side rear tire. It held fast without budging. I then went over to the passenger side tire and tried to turn it. With a little effort I was able to turn it. So it seems that about 90% of all the emergency brake holding power is being done by my driver side rear tire. Does anyone else have this same issue? and can I adjust it to where I only tighten up the pressure on the passenger side rear tire so it is an even braking pressure?

P.S. Sorry for the long post just wanted all the details/questions in it. If anyone has had similar issues please toss your solutions my way. Many thanks.
Old 06-25-2011, 04:36 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh my jeep is FAR From stock. I never thought to check the braking pressure on each tire individually when it was stock. The tires I am running are 35 x 12.5.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:24 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Newjeepster
I have a question about the Emergency brake. I know how to adjust it etc. But here is what I am curious on. I changed brake pads on my jeep probably 10-12k miles ago maybe a little less. Anyways It held find I just had to pull the emergency brake lever almost all the way up to the top so it would hold on an incline. Anyways about a week or two ago it all of a sudden started to hold much better for no reason. I did not adjust anything just pulled it to stop it from rolling when I got out like I have done a million times in the past and it worked much better. The brake caught at about the halfway point from where it used to. So I just used a floor jack lifted up the rear of the jeep so the back tires were hanging freely. I put some gloves on and turned the tires by hand without the emergency brake on. Then I put the brake on to the same posistion when I use it to stop it from rolling on hills. I then tried to turn the driver side rear tire. It held fast without budging. I then went over to the passenger side tire and tried to turn it. With a little effort I was able to turn it. So it seems that about 90% of all the emergency brake holding power is being done by my driver side rear tire. Does anyone else have this same issue? and can I adjust it to where I only tighten up the pressure on the passenger side rear tire so it is an even braking pressure?

P.S. Sorry for the long post just wanted all the details/questions in it. If anyone has had similar issues please toss your solutions my way. Many thanks.
Take what you know about how to adjust the parking brake, and apply it to only the passenger side.

If that doesn't change anything, you may have a broken cable on the passenger's side. They come together in the console.

Last edited by ronjenx; 06-25-2011 at 07:31 AM. Reason: added info

Quick Reply: Emergency brake issue *long post great detail*