Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

engine idling at 2000 rpm?

Old 01-02-2012, 07:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 09 would do it randomly. And it turned out that as I was driving it would backfire just a bit on downshifting and make the throttle unhappy, and idle around 2k. I didnt hear it at first but once it got bad I could.
Have you changed the plugs yet? The stock ones are junk and seem to start misfiring for no reason. I had 25000km on mine before they started misfiring.
Changing the plugs fixed mine. As well I had no check eng light or other indcation light up.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:00 AM
JK Newbie

My 08 Rubicon does the same thing. If I notice it more than once in a week I usually turn the ignition on, press pedal to floor slowly to "relearn" (?) fly by wire and off I go. Seems to fix it for a while. No codes, doesn't matter whether it is hot or cold etc. 40000 km (about 25000 miles ?)
Old 01-03-2012, 08:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pirate
My 09 would do it randomly. And it turned out that as I was driving it would backfire just a bit on downshifting and make the throttle unhappy, and idle around 2k. I didnt hear it at first but once it got bad I could.
Have you changed the plugs yet? The stock ones are junk and seem to start misfiring for no reason. I had 25000km on mine before they started misfiring.
Changing the plugs fixed mine. As well I had no check eng light or other indcation light up.
I haven't changed the plugs yet. But its getting done I a month or so. I just have to fine the time. But it does need it done.

Quick Reply: engine idling at 2000 rpm?