Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Engine Ticking

Old 12-12-2007, 05:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Ticking

So how many of you notice a "ticking" sound at idle while standing outside of the vehicle.

It sounds very much like lifter noise but I'm reading that this is the injectors firing. If it is, these are some loud injectors. It's going in the shop next week to get the tow hooks on and I'm going to bring this up then.

What is everyone's experience with this...if any?
Old 12-12-2007, 06:29 PM
JK Freak

yeah I hear that also, i heard it the most through my exhaust, kind of scared me at first
Old 12-12-2007, 06:33 PM
JK Super Freak

i dont get this....check your oil??,,,thast about all id know to guess haha
Old 12-12-2007, 06:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

mine just got louder and louder. I took my jeep in and it ended up being the bolts where loose at the header exhaust connection.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:52 PM
JK Newbie

i have the same problem but i think mine may be the cluch. when i touch the cluch it stops?? i took it in to see what the dealership thought and they said it was nothing but thats crazy its not supposed to tick. any ideas??
Old 12-12-2007, 09:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Spence D.
i have the same problem but i think mine may be the cluch. when i touch the cluch it stops?? i took it in to see what the dealership thought and they said it was nothing but thats crazy its not supposed to tick. any ideas??
There is a TSB out on the clutch noise. Sounds like your bearing is about to go out.

Ticking noises in the engine compartment is commonly loose bolts/nuts on the exhaust headers where the header joins with the header exhaust pipe. If so when in is cold get underneath and see if you can wiggle it, or it there is a lot of gray discoloration by the gasket.
Old 12-13-2007, 03:59 AM
JK Super Freak

I paid closer attention today and it's most definitely coming the manifold area. Gonna have them check it out.

Oil level is perfect and oil color is nice and clean.
Old 12-13-2007, 04:04 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by overton001
mine just got louder and louder. I took my jeep in and it ended up being the bolts where loose at the header exhaust connection.
There is actully a TSB for this... Had my attempted fix yesterday... I thought we has all the TSB on this site so I was never aware... They have to order new knurled bolts and will be fixing it next week.. I will try to get the TSB number..

Not exactly the Header to Exhaust bolts but the Header Flange to Head bolts..

Old 12-13-2007, 04:20 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I noticed this as well when I first start it up in the morning on a cold day. I figured I needed to throw some Lucas oil stabilizer in there so the engine stays coated with oil.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:43 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by simon
I noticed this as well when I first start it up in the morning on a cold day. I figured I needed to throw some Lucas oil stabilizer in there so the engine stays coated with oil.
Go get your exhaust flange bolts replaced.. Thats how mine started then kept getting worse and worse..

Quick Reply: Engine Ticking