Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Ening rpm's during shift

Old 01-03-2008, 02:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ening rpm's during shift

Howdy,
I just picked up my Steel Blue JK today and am loving it so far!! However, I've got a couple questions...

First, when I depress the clutch to shift, the engine rpm's will stay where they are for a second or two before slowly starting to drop. Is this to give more time to shift or is something not right?? My other jeep is a striped 85 CJ so I'm not used to these new fangled electronics lol.

Second, when i turn the key to start the jeep, there is a slight delay before the engine starts to crank. Is this normal as well?? I just want to make sure everything is copasetic...

I appreciate the help and plan to be a much more frequent visitor now!

Tyler
Old 01-03-2008, 02:49 PM
JK Freak

Welcome to the JK world , alot of the guys and girls on here know there stuff you wont have any problems, anyway to answer you ,not sure about the starting issues, but the RPM thing was weird but it is normal I test drove a couple and they all did it, I had to convince my dad" the mechanic" that it was normal. He was surprised to see that.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:58 PM
JK Freak

Welcome aboard and Happy Jeeping!
I think both issues are normal, but I'd like to hear what others have to say here (thats the beauty of this place!).

The slow RPM reduction is probably related to the huge flywheel inertia. A quick revving sports car it ain't! It just takes getting used to. When I fist got this 6 speed, I was not a big fan, but it grows on ya.

The start delay is perfectly normal since this is a drive by wire vehicle. Also takes some getting used to. ..
Funny story: When I first test drove the JK a year ago, my salesman threw me the keys and told me to go get the vehicle from thier storage garage (this was like the 4th Jeep I bought from him, so we were on familiar terms). When I went to start it, it didn't start right away so I thought something was wrong and out of habbit I gassed it just as it started. It made quite the noise and the entire dealership came running. Out of pure embarassment I quickly mentioned that the floor mat made the pedal stick.

Again, welcome!
Old 01-03-2008, 02:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tyler2786
First, when I depress the clutch to shift, the engine rpm's will stay where they are for a second or two before slowly starting to drop. Is this to give more time to shift or is something not right?? My other jeep is a striped 85 CJ so I'm not used to these new fangled electronics.

Second, when i turn the key to start the jeep, there is a slight delay before the engine starts to crank. Is this normal as well??
I think both of those are pretty normal. Mine did both, it probably still does but I have gotten used to it and don't notice it anymore.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:07 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll 4th it... Normal.

Lots of modern cars hold their revs now thanks ( ) to drive by wire...
Old 01-03-2008, 03:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks alot for the quick response guys, good to know everything is how it should be! Now it's time to go find a good trail
Old 01-03-2008, 03:44 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by benmar2000
As for the starter part.. Yeah.. That is normal.. As a matter of fact.. Just turn the key to the start position and let go... It will crank on it's own to start.. No need to keep it in the start position.. I think it is kind of neat..
Not on the manuals....
Old 01-03-2008, 10:59 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Tyler2786
Howdy,
I just picked up my Steel Blue JK today and am loving it so far!! However, I've got a couple questions...

First, when I depress the clutch to shift, the engine rpm's will stay where they are for a second or two before slowly starting to drop. Is this to give more time to shift or is something not right?? My other jeep is a striped 85 CJ so I'm not used to these new fangled electronics lol.

Second, when i turn the key to start the jeep, there is a slight delay before the engine starts to crank. Is this normal as well?? I just want to make sure everything is copasetic...

I appreciate the help and plan to be a much more frequent visitor now!

Tyler

Congratulations on the Jeep! Blue was my first color choice. Awsome color. I changed my mind, hopping that the Yellow would not show all the dirt as much.

The RPM thing is for emissions. More emission are created when the throttle is closed all of a sudden. So the computer brings the RPM down slowly. Just like it keeps the RPM up until catalytic converters start to work.

The start thing I don't know about. I usually wait until the bulb check before I start it. That may be the reason why I haven't noticed it.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:43 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

same here on both.

The one thing i have noticed is that it does take a bit to come down from 4000+ Rpms.

Kat
Old 01-04-2008, 06:47 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jkkat
same here on both.

The one thing i have noticed is that it does take a bit to come down from 4000+ Rpms.

Kat
Which makes tranny braking tough... in my opinion.

Quick Reply: Ening rpm's during shift