Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

ESP Off question

Old 02-25-2014, 03:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESP Off question

What are appropriate conditions for turning off ESP in 2H and 4H? I've used it in deep snow to promote tire-spin and "digging-in". Thanks
Old 02-26-2014, 12:24 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Sargejk
What are appropriate conditions for turning off ESP in 2H and 4H? I've used it in deep snow to promote tire-spin and "digging-in". Thanks
This is going to vary a lot by individual. I know some highly experienced off-roaders who turn ESP off the moment they hit dirt (they announce it over the CB to encourage everyone else to do the same). Me, I only turn it off if I sense that the ESP is causing me problems. For example, once bent the drag link and the steering wheel was crooked. ESP wouldn't let us accelerate onto the Interstate during the drive home because it was convinced we were in a skid. Another time my son was driving in 4WD-High and couldn't get up a short but steep hill. I had him turn off the ESP and the Jeep drove right up. Most of the time, however, I just let the Jeep decide how the ESP should be handled.

BTW: Do be aware that there are two levels of "off". Pressing and holding the ESP button for 5-7 seconds will turn more off than just quickly pressing and releasing. Your owners manual will have more info on that.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:01 AM
JK Freak

I just hit the button every time I get in. In 2wd the button really doesn't do much. The systems still work. As soon as I click into 4HI I hold the button 7 seconds to turn the system off. I don't want to deal with it.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

I turn it off as soon as I go into 4WD.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I am on the road I leave it on unless I want to play and do some sliding around. ESP works perfect for me in my 2 door on slick roads, keeping the hemi tamed.

If I go off the road I turn it off because otherwise I might forget later, when it should have been off.

In deep snow or slick mud I do not want full ESP on.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:57 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought this was pretty cool. Unfortunately, it applies to 07-09 only. As for myself, I vary use pending conditions.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1678574422.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	533637  
Old 02-26-2014, 08:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Esp

ok, first question, are we talking ESP or Traction Control? because most vehicle separate the two...

the 2012 lets you disable traction control in 2 hi or 4 hi (it's off in 4 low).

and if you do the steering wheel dance or sensor switch, you can disable ESP.

I've not yet 'needed' to disable ESP, however I have disabled Traction Control on mine to get up a snow covered driveway in 4 high.

I could have potentially moved it to 4 low, disabling all the electronics, but i didn't really consider that at the time.

at the time, the snow and ice was causing the jeep to be unable to make it up the driveway because the traction control wouldn't let me SPIN the tires up to speed...

disabling the T/C, (not the ESP) by pressing the button on the lower dash briefly, let me run up the RPMs of the tires and get up said hill...

the only time I've been annoyed with the ESP is in 2WD when I WANT to play w/the vehicle and spin some doughnuts in a parking lot in the snow.

My 2009 Tahoe I can tap the button which disables T/C. or hold it which disables T/C and GMs version of ESP.

Although, GMs version in the Tahoe is MUCH nicer than in my JK... however I don't know how much of that is Jeep Vs GM, and how much is a lifted jeep on 35s vs a longer wheelbase, normal tires, and heavier Tahoe...

in my Tahoe, 2WD, T/C off, on a hill in snow, it wont' budge. turn on the electronic gizmo's and it goes great!

(Since I live in PA, however the Tahoe is also 4WD). and yes 4WD, the AWD version is different. It lacks a 4 low, and is on all the time)
Old 02-26-2014, 08:47 AM
JK Freak

Kill switch. Done deal.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:36 PM
JK Freak

Personally, I installed a kill switch to easily completely shut the systems off at my hearts desire (click the link to my write-up in my sig if you want to know more about it). But, about the only time I shut it all off is when I am wheeling or in the mood to whip some shittys. Otherwise, the system is on as I find it to be a benefit when on road.

Quick Reply: ESP Off question