Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Extended-Life Oil Filters and Oil Change Interval

Old 04-06-2011, 10:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended-Life Oil Filters and Oil Change Interval

I'm coming up on an oil change, and I am thinking about changing oil filter brands. I run with Royal Purple synthetic oil and a Royal Purple oil filter, but it causes knocking on startups after sitting for several hours. I'm considering buying a Mopar filter, because I had no problems with it before. One question though: does the oil filter determine oil change intervals or does the oil itself determine oil change intervals? The RP filter was nice because I only have to change the oil every 10,000 miles or so. If I use another filter such as Mopar or Wix, and I use synthetic oil, will my oil change interval decrease? Would it be every 6,000 miles? Or every 3,000 miles?
Old 04-06-2011, 02:04 PM
JK Newbie

I'm running Mobil1 with a Purolator Pure One filter and it's been fine. I wouldn't go past 5,000 miles though.
Old 04-06-2011, 02:08 PM
JK Newbie

The oil is more of a determining factor of oil change intervals. Even if you use a synthetic with a longer drain interval than OEM recommendation, the filter may not be able to go the same distance. I use an Amsoil synthetic oil and an Amsoil filter which are both rated for 15,000 miles or 1 year. I do not have any dry start issues with this combination. If I used the Amsoil with a Mopar or Wix filter, I could still change the oil at the 15,000 mile/1 year interval, but I would have to change the oil filter at the OEM recommended interval and top off the oil lost when changing the filter. So you would need to change the oil filter more often than the oil.
Old 04-06-2011, 02:28 PM
JK Newbie

Wheels082 is correct. Only Amsoil specified their filters are capable of extended drain intervals. Also, be sure to have specific oil designed for extended drain.

Oil is not what goes bad, it's the additives, the dirt entering engine, and contaminants such as antifreeze, metal articles, etc. Going 10,000 miles would be OK if you drive highway, take it easy on the engine, and use a regular air filter with your engine, along with proper oil and filter.

I HiGHLY suggest taking an oil analysis and seeing what your oil looks like after 10,000 miles. You might be dissapointed.

BUT, it might look great!! Take an oil sample every now and then to see how your oil, engine, and air filter are holding up at those extended intervals. You will be doing yourself and your jeep a huge favor. Get them for about $25 at BLACKSTONE LABS.
Old 04-06-2011, 04:25 PM
JK Newbie

I run amsoil in all my combustion engines....never failed me yet. I use the ASL 5-30 in my JKU, recommended oil change interval is 25,000....I've gone 15,000 WITHOUT ANY ISSUES. I have done a oil analysis test on a couple of my longer duration intervals, came back good. Amsoil is good stuff, as is Brad Penn and Motul oils. Royal purple, not so much...they have a good marketing department. Mobil 1 is a good oil, even though it's not a true synthetic oil. It by definition is a synthetic, it is ultra refined dino oil with many synthetic additives. It's still a good oil, just not a true synthetic oil.

Quick Reply: Extended-Life Oil Filters and Oil Change Interval