Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Extremely rough idle after accident

Old 02-29-2012, 03:44 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Motor mounts are made of INTERLOCKING pieces of metal separated by bonded rubber which separates the 2 halves. This absorbs shock and vibration and isolates the running gear from the chassis and body. It is extremely common for the metal portion of a mount to bend and make contact with the other half, negating the rubber portion of the mount. The mount looks good, rubber not broken, but rubbing and transmitting every shake and vibration to the vehicle. Lay under the jeep with a flashlight and inspect each mount (including the tranny) very carefully. Have a helper idle the engine, inspect each mount with the gas jabbed a little. Don't get run over....
Old 03-01-2012, 11:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JeeP_MarK
Check the motor mounts as well they can get damaged from the impact
Checked them already; didnt see any issues. But we are now going to replace them anyways as I dont see how it can be anything else.

Originally Posted by jk-tony
Sounds like mounts, but since you've already checked them, it leads me to believe there may be something coming into contact with the motor that is causing vibrations to be transmitted to the cab area.

Check to see if there is any hard parts touching the engine or trans. And I know you said you checked the mounts and they look ok, but they could also be collapsed. In that case it could be difficult to tell if they are just by taking a glance at them. Maybe look at another jk and compare to yours.

I thought this too; looked all over it last night trying to see if anything was touching, but nothing looks out of place. and thats another reason I think it is in the mounts. Going to replace them and see where we stand.

Originally Posted by wvhasty
Long shot, but you may want to check the exhaust and see if it's touching any metal around the tranny area.
Thought this too, and traced it up and down, but no luck. Its all clear.

Originally Posted by Otbiker
Loose flywheel / flex plate?
Dont think so. Everything in the engine/tranny is running smoothly. No notice in changes to shifting/etc.

Originally Posted by TINMAN080
Motor mounts are made of INTERLOCKING pieces of metal separated by bonded rubber which separates the 2 halves. This absorbs shock and vibration and isolates the running gear from the chassis and body. It is extremely common for the metal portion of a mount to bend and make contact with the other half, negating the rubber portion of the mount. The mount looks good, rubber not broken, but rubbing and transmitting every shake and vibration to the vehicle. Lay under the jeep with a flashlight and inspect each mount (including the tranny) very carefully. Have a helper idle the engine, inspect each mount with the gas jabbed a little. Don't get run over....
This makes a lot of sense. So I spoke with him this morning, and it goes back to the shop to get the tranny/engine mounts replaced, as others have suggested as well. Thanks for the detail.

There is nothing else it can really be other than the mounts. Everything is in working order. The mounts are on order, and get put in on Monday. I will keep you all posted if it does/does not fix the issue, but I really hope so. Ready for this thing to be back to normal.

Thanks everyone for your input!!
Old 05-18-2012, 11:55 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JeeP_MarK
Check the motor mounts as well they can get damaged from the impact
as well as transmount. Not just the rubber mounts but the entire bracket assembly.
Old 10-07-2015, 03:16 PM
JK Newbie

Default 2013 Jeep Wrangler Engine Rough Idle

I have had the same issue for the past three weeks. I rear ended a Ford 150 and hit is square on the trailer hitch at 15 mph. The visible damage to my Jeep bumper is the plastic covers being ripped at the extruded bumper part. The license plate with a perfect imprint of the 2" square hitch. Damage to the Ford was their bumper being replaced and sensors. After leaving the scene, I realized in about 30 minutes into he drive a very rough idle. In park, in drive and with or without AC on, it idles rough. Geico told me to take it to a collision shop to have their adjuster review. I noted the rough idle and they would review. After three days, bumper replaced, but engine idled rough. Adjuster said could be loose wire or spark plug. I knew I was in trouble then. So I took it to a Dodge dealer. Within 30 minutes on the rack they found both engine mounts damage. after a week, they replaced the mounts and the right side catalytic converter being damaged due to the engine moving forward 1". But the engine continues to idle rough. took it back today and had the body shop review. They do not believe it is the frame, but they did notice the mounts for the cab are slightly out of alignment by 1/2" forward. So they are telling me that the entire vehicle cab moved forward 1/2". Not sure how they causes the engine to vibrate rough. Any suggestions?
Old 10-07-2015, 05:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

having the cab move forward in a crash is not uncommon esp if you make the strike with the main part of the bumper.. where the fram is the part of the vehicle that stops first.. the cab, engine, and anything attached to the frame still have mementum to dissipate.. and so breakage of mounts and movement of the cab in relation to the chassis frame will occur...

your vibration could be caused by something as simple as a portion of the transmission now touches the body floorboard. . or a transmission filler tube snugged up against the body, etc.. exhaust attached to the body could have stretched the rubber mounts and now you have metal on metal.. anything simple like that can transmit the vibration feeling into the cab of the vehicle.. where its normally isolated..

also if the cab moved, the body could now be sitting against the metal mount bolts instead of on the rubber mounts.. again transmitting engine vibrations into the cab...

just because there is no or little visible damage when you crash doesnt mean damage didnt occur.. there is a LOT of energy stored in a moving verhicle.. and if metal doesnt bend or shock-mounted bumpers dont compress or do compress to their limits and metal still doesnt bend.. there is likely going to be someplace else where the energy of the moving vehicle was expended...

-Christopher
Old 10-07-2015, 06:53 PM
JK Newbie

great help. i will convey these possibilities to the dealer in the morning. Sad that i have to direct them on possibilities and in their mind, they fall back to "sorry, we just dont know."

thanks christopher

fred

Originally Posted by JeepaRoo
having the cab move forward in a crash is not uncommon esp if you make the strike with the main part of the bumper.. where the fram is the part of the vehicle that stops first.. the cab, engine, and anything attached to the frame still have mementum to dissipate.. and so breakage of mounts and movement of the cab in relation to the chassis frame will occur...

your vibration could be caused by something as simple as a portion of the transmission now touches the body floorboard. . or a transmission filler tube snugged up against the body, etc.. exhaust attached to the body could have stretched the rubber mounts and now you have metal on metal.. anything simple like that can transmit the vibration feeling into the cab of the vehicle.. where its normally isolated..

also if the cab moved, the body could now be sitting against the metal mount bolts instead of on the rubber mounts.. again transmitting engine vibrations into the cab...

just because there is no or little visible damage when you crash doesnt mean damage didnt occur.. there is a LOT of energy stored in a moving verhicle.. and if metal doesnt bend or shock-mounted bumpers dont compress or do compress to their limits and metal still doesnt bend.. there is likely going to be someplace else where the energy of the moving vehicle was expended...

-Christopher
Old 11-26-2015, 07:10 PM
JK Newbie

Long time lurker---first time posting---- thanks for posting this thread.

I rear ended a Kia last week and though no body damage- I think I may be having same issues. No airbag deployment…took out her trunk and bumped. I didn't have a scratch.

2013 JKU with 62K miles on it. Odd noise in cab when I start it up and seems loud on start and when I drive. It feels like the front wheels are dragging--- after checking though don't see anything. Kinda thinking the body moved.
Old 11-27-2015, 12:29 PM
JK Newbie

After suggestion from others I did go to the dealer and they discovered that in addition to motor mount replacement they did find the exhaust and transmission mounts also needed to be realigned due to motor shifting. The exhaust and transmission brackets or parts of where against the cab causing the rough vibration. Also, the loudness was the exhaust hitting the underside of the cab.

Bottom line, if the engine shifted, then the exhaust and transmission shifted as well. When they reset or put in new mounts, they need to check all mounts to see if they shifted.

Do accept until fixed to your satisfaction.

Originally Posted by AdventureIQ
Long time lurker---first time posting---- thanks for posting this thread.

I rear ended a Kia last week and though no body damage- I think I may be having same issues. No airbag deployment…took out her trunk and bumped. I didn't have a scratch.

2013 JKU with 62K miles on it. Odd noise in cab when I start it up and seems loud on start and when I drive. It feels like the front wheels are dragging--- after checking though don't see anything. Kinda thinking the body moved.
Old 10-28-2016, 05:24 PM
JK Newbie

I have 2015 JKU and am in the EXACT situation that you were once in. I was driving ~40mph, a lady pulled out in front of me, and I tboned her Ford Explorer. Had some front end damage nothing too major. My jeep has since come home from the collision shop, and they can't seem to find out where the heavy vibration is coming from. The vibration is so bad, I bump the transmission into neutral when at a stop light. Also when the engine/transmission is under a load everything in the jeep vibrates loudly. The collision shop has since reseated all of the body mounts, and still have the same issue.

So, I'm curious, did the new motor mounts fix your issue?

Have you experienced any long term issues?

Originally Posted by Rockroaster
Checked them already; didnt see any issues. But we are now going to replace them anyways as I dont see how it can be anything else.

I thought this too; looked all over it last night trying to see if anything was touching, but nothing looks out of place. and thats another reason I think it is in the mounts. Going to replace them and see where we stand.

Thought this too, and traced it up and down, but no luck. Its all clear.

Dont think so. Everything in the engine/tranny is running smoothly. No notice in changes to shifting/etc.

This makes a lot of sense. So I spoke with him this morning, and it goes back to the shop to get the tranny/engine mounts replaced, as others have suggested as well. Thanks for the detail.

There is nothing else it can really be other than the mounts. Everything is in working order. The mounts are on order, and get put in on Monday. I will keep you all posted if it does/does not fix the issue, but I really hope so. Ready for this thing to be back to normal.

Thanks everyone for your input!!
Old 10-28-2016, 06:13 PM
JK Newbie

Follow Up
After a week on pushing the dealer on all comments I received from this forum, they determined and showed me that the motor mounts were sheared. The dealer also agreed that the shift of the motor also shifted the transmission which was touching the frame and causing the entire jeep to idle rough. The collision place could not figure it out nor listen but the jeep dealer listen.

It has had no issues since then.

Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by smmeyer83
I have 2015 JKU and am in the EXACT situation that you were once in. I was driving ~40mph, a lady pulled out in front of me, and I tboned her Ford Explorer. Had some front end damage nothing too major. My jeep has since come home from the collision shop, and they can't seem to find out where the heavy vibration is coming from. The vibration is so bad, I bump the transmission into neutral when at a stop light. Also when the engine/transmission is under a load everything in the jeep vibrates loudly. The collision shop has since reseated all of the body mounts, and still have the same issue.

So, I'm curious, did the new motor mounts fix your issue?

Have you experienced any long term issues?

Quick Reply: Extremely rough idle after accident