Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

A few questions

Old 01-04-2012, 04:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So this is my first manual tranny I've ever driven/owned. I've wanted to get one for a long time. And after about a day of driving around I've got the hang of it, and love it (except downtown traffic lol)

I've got a 6spd '08 JKU X.

1. Now when I purchased my Jeep it has 255/70/18 Bridgestone Dueler AT's....these are Wheels/tire sizes that come stock on a Sahara correct? If they are, how much would the speedo be off if going from the stock X tires to Sahara tires?

2. What's a good cruising speed for 6 gear? I've been shifting at about 23-2500 rpm's but when I get into 6th it stays at around 2000-2200k give or take a little going 65-72ish mph. Is that a good cruising speed?

3. It has the stock side steps, and I don't do a whole lot of rocks, just some mud. I'm about 6' and every time I get out it gets my pants dirty. Are these simple to take off? Is there a write up of doing so? I don't want to start unbolting things I shouldn't/don't have to. Ill put grab handles on roll bar instead

4. The spare is the stock X size with that haneous wheel. How hard would it be to find a matching 18" Moab wheel and tire of what I already have on it? I eventually want to go up to 33's but I don't have the $ so I'm saving up. Should I just buy a matching spare, keep the one I have, or take it off since I wouldn't be able to use it?

I love this thing. Got a sweet deal with only 27k miles on it. So far I've put the Smittybilt tailgate Gear on, im putting the VDP stubby conversion on this weekend. Making my own instatrunk soon, smoked lights & angry eyes soon. I love modding this thing.

Thanks for the help/suggestions/tips

Mac

Last edited by MacBeJeepin; 01-04-2012 at 05:02 AM.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Anyone care to chime in?
Old 01-05-2012, 05:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. I dont know if those are the stock tires/wheels or not, sounds right though. I dont think the speedometer would be that off, but the dealer can correct the speedometer for up to 32" tires (Rubicon tires).

2. I have an automatic transmission, but I think that sounds like a good place to be RPM wise. I seem to get the most response from my Jeep once I hit about 2200+. I'm usually not going over 65ish because my MPGs take a major hit if I spend too much time over that.

3. I think the rails would be easy to take off. Should just be a few bolts. I know the bolts I needed to use to put on my rock sliders were pretty long so be prepared. You could also just go off-road with them on and they might just rip off

4. There are plenty of stock wheels and tires that pop up for sale on this site and other places around the interwebs... just keep an eye out. I dont know how easy it will be to get just one vs a whole set though. If you plan on going to 33's I would suggest either just keeping the spare you have and put a cover on it or just take it off. When you go to 33's you might want to get new wheels to provide the correct back spacing. No point in buying a spare tire and wheel if you're just going to turn around and replace them anyway.

Congratulations on catching the modding bug it's only going to get worse and worse....Enjoy!
Old 01-05-2012, 11:03 AM
JK Freak

2. I always shift around 2500-3000, especially where I live because of all the hills. But when I am on the highway/back roads and doing 65 I'm just about exactly at 2000-2200 in 6th gear. But I'm not in 6th gear that often.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:28 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by MacBeJeepin
So this is my first manual tranny I've ever driven/owned. I've wanted to get one for a long time. And after about a day of driving around I've got the hang of it, and love it (except downtown traffic lol)

I've got a 6spd '08 JKU X.

1. Now when I purchased my Jeep it has 255/70/18 Bridgestone Dueler AT's....these are Wheels/tire sizes that come stock on a Sahara correct? If they are, how much would the speedo be off if going from the stock X tires to Sahara tires?

2. What's a good cruising speed for 6 gear? I've been shifting at about 23-2500 rpm's but when I get into 6th it stays at around 2000-2200k give or take a little going 65-72ish mph. Is that a good cruising speed?

3. It has the stock side steps, and I don't do a whole lot of rocks, just some mud. I'm about 6' and every time I get out it gets my pants dirty. Are these simple to take off? Is there a write up of doing so? I don't want to start unbolting things I shouldn't/don't have to. Ill put grab handles on roll bar instead

4. The spare is the stock X size with that haneous wheel. How hard would it be to find a matching 18" Moab wheel and tire of what I already have on it? I eventually want to go up to 33's but I don't have the $ so I'm saving up. Should I just buy a matching spare, keep the one I have, or take it off since I wouldn't be able to use it?

I love this thing. Got a sweet deal with only 27k miles on it. So far I've put the Smittybilt tailgate Gear on, im putting the VDP stubby conversion on this weekend. Making my own instatrunk soon, smoked lights & angry eyes soon. I love modding this thing.

Thanks for the help/suggestions/tips

Mac
For #3, I just took mine off to put my ACE rails on, which I recommend! On my 2dr, its two long bolts and 4 medium sized bolts. The last two were placed in an odd place and if you EVER been in mud, of course you didn't get it all off, mud will drop in your face! Haha wear eye protection! Good luck!
Old 01-05-2012, 03:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DirtyDi
The last two were placed in an odd place and if you EVER been in mud, of course you didn't get it all off, mud will drop in your face! Haha wear eye protection! Good luck!
X2 on the eye protection... same thing happened to me
Old 01-05-2012, 03:43 PM
JK Newbie

For exact amount that speedometer would be out. Simply find a online tire size calculator. Punch in the original tire size and compare to size on your jk.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Those are the size and tires that come stock on a sahara. You shouldn't have a problem with the speedo of you went to rubicon tires. The stocks saharas measure about 32 as well.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Those are the same size as my stock 08 sahara
Old 01-05-2012, 04:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

i cruise in 6th on the highway between 65-70

Quick Reply: A few questions