Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

finally decided to schedule a service appointment for my JK..

Old 04-09-2011, 10:23 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default finally decided to schedule a service appointment for my JK..

.. because I just noticed that my coolant level is well below the 'min' mark. I can't find a leak, so I'm giving up and taking it in to the dealer. It's about time for an oil change anyway, and they sent me a $20 coupon, which is cheaper than buying the oil and doing it myself (which I usually do).

While it's there, I'm also having them look at:
  • my ticking engine. They've said it's normal in the past, but I want it documented again. It just doesn't sound right to me.
  • the gas tank. Even though I'm not eligible for the recall (mine was manufactured in Feb 2007), it still spews gas on fill up if I'm not careful. I'm tired of it.
  • my creaky clutch. It was replaced once before.

I love my JK, but I'm a bit frustrated with it today. I've learned a lot from the forum and have done some of the service based on the write-ups, but these issues are a bit beyond my ability.

Thanks for letting me rant for a minute!

Last edited by cowboyxjon; 04-09-2011 at 10:30 AM.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:47 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ticking could be cracked exhaust manifold
Old 04-09-2011, 01:30 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by drumnatural
ticking could be cracked exhaust manifold
Thanks! I'll take a look.

Also, I just noticed that it looks like my water pump is leaking coolant. So at least now I've got an idea of where it's coming from.
Old 04-09-2011, 02:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep us updated on the coolant leak. My 07 is leaking in the are of my water pump also. When mine goes in for the fuel tank fix, they are going to check out my water pump and timing cover for the oil seepage.
Old 04-09-2011, 04:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cowboyxjon
Thanks! I'll take a look.

Also, I just noticed that it looks like my water pump is leaking coolant. So at least now I've got an idea of where it's coming from.
OK, well that's good news for you anyway, as the water pumps are cheap to buy and easy to replace (many people here have had to change them out at 30 or 40K miles). Dropping coolant levels without any signs of external leaks could indicate internal leakage due to blown head gaskets, which will foul your oil and damage the motor's internal components pretty quick, particularly if it leaks directly into the combustion chamber and hydrolocks the motor.

A sudden drop in the reservoir level after offroading on steep and bumpy trails is pretty common, as the coolant slops out the top of the overflow; evidence of this is usually found all over the front diff pumpkin.

Last edited by JKlad; 04-09-2011 at 04:21 PM.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:14 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JKlad
OK, well that's good news for you anyway, as the water pumps are cheap to buy and easy to replace (many people here have had to change them out at 30 or 40K miles). Dropping coolant levels without any signs of external leaks could indicate internal leakage due to blown head gaskets, which will foul your oil and damage the motor's internal components pretty quick, particularly if it leaks directly into the combustion chamber and hydrolocks the motor.
Good to know -- thanks! I haven't had any trouble with the JK leading up to this and no warning lights came on, but I just happened to notice the reservoir today. I try to check the fluids at least once/week because I'm paranoid about oil consumption and blowing the engine. Luckily the oil level is fine and the bit of coolant left in the reservoir is the correct color -- doesn't look like it's been mixing with oil.
Old 04-10-2011, 03:08 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JKlad

A sudden drop in the reservoir level after offroading on steep and bumpy trails is pretty common, as the coolant slops out the top of the overflow; evidence of this is usually found all over the front diff pumpkin.
I have never had any vehicle leak coolant apart from this Jeep. Every time I go off road there is coolant on the front diff cover. You can see its coming from the overflow tank. Its just crazy.
The temp gauge is normal no increase etc.. But as soon as you hit any tracks its coming out of the tank and on the diff cover.

Makes me very nervous indeed.

Any other people have this happen while hitting the trails?
Old 04-12-2011, 11:39 AM
JK Newbie

Just wanted to update everyone because I just got off the phone with the dealer:
  • Coolant leak - The water pump is leaking and will be replaced under extended warranty.
  • Gas tank overflow - The gas tank will be replaced under extended warranty. My JK was built in Feb 2007, so it falls just outside of the eligible manufacture dates for the gas tank recall. This item is on backorder so it might be awhile until it comes in.
  • Creaky clutch - They lubed/greased SOMETHING but I can't remember what it was. They claim that this fixed the issue, so we'll see when I pick up the Jeep tomorrow.
  • Engine ticking - They couldn't find anything wrong and to them, the engine sounds normal. I don't think it sounds normal, but at least it's documented again.

I usually NEVER buy extended warranties. I was close to refusing until the dealer cut me a deal (close to half of the original quoted price) on it when I bought the Jeep. In this case, I think it just paid for itself. I know the parts aren't that expensive, but I've heard that the water pump repair can be expensive when done at the dealership, as is the gas tank replacement. So we'll see!

Quick Reply: finally decided to schedule a service appointment for my JK..