Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Finally My Top Leaked

Old 12-23-2007, 03:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally My Top Leaked

Hi

Had my Jeep Unlimited for a month now and it finally leaked. I have run through touchless car washes with no problems. I thought I was one of the lucky ones,, until today.

My drive way is slopped and i had my Jeep parked forward and it has been raining all day. It leaked in the front on top of the dash. Anyway to fix this. Or is it just a design flaw?

I wiped everything down and reversed the Jeep in,, so the water beeds towards the back, looks like it is working...

Let me know what you guys think/know

Thanks
Old 12-23-2007, 03:47 PM
tin
JK Newbie

DC claims the new rubber seals for the 08 fix this problem but i think they are full of it from all the people with 08 models with leaky roof. Single most reason why i am kinda mad and holdng off on buying a wrangler cause i think there is no true fix. How some people can justify a new vehicle that leaks right off the assembly line is not right. I don't care how great it is off road, it shouldn't leak like this , not acceptable.

Last edited by tin; 12-23-2007 at 03:52 PM.
Old 12-23-2007, 03:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

get a soft top, 3 months, rain, washes.... no leak here
Old 12-23-2007, 03:58 PM
tin
JK Newbie

boy that helps him alot. send him the $700 and maybe he will.
Old 12-23-2007, 04:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have both the hardtop and softtop, its winter time now up here in Ottawa Canada, I have the hardtop on. My hardtop has yet to leak until today,, like i said it was parked on my slopped driveway and I know that the water was beading towards the front of the Jeep and water builds up and eventually leaks onto the dash.

Has Jeep solved the problem with the apparent thicker gasket I read before???
Old 12-23-2007, 04:31 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by SuperSaiks
I have both the hardtop and softtop, its winter time now up here in Ottawa Canada, I have the hardtop on. My hardtop has yet to leak until today,, like i said it was parked on my slopped driveway and I know that the water was beading towards the front of the Jeep and water builds up and eventually leaks onto the dash.

Has Jeep solved the problem with the apparent thicker gasket I read before???

Have you ever had your hardtop off? I read somewhere online to push the two halves together when securing the top to the jeep. I dont know if it works or not.
Old 12-23-2007, 04:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hi

Yes I did remove my hardtop once to remove the softtop out of the car for storage as per the user manual,,, I was extremely careful in putting the hardtop back one and did it correctly not pinching any gaskets etc. I went through a touchless pressure wash with no problems

I think every 07/08 jeep parked forward on a downward slop will eventually leak if left all day long in the rain. I have read that the water builds up inbetween the gaskets and eventually overflows and leaks onto the dash. I have even read that people who apply their brakes when driving and it starts to leak.
Old 12-24-2007, 05:20 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I USED to have this exact leak...

Problem: centerseal not correctly attached to right freedom panel half.
Solution: new right freedom panel

I had this done about 5" of rain ago, and havent had a single drip since.

As I understood it, It is SO hard to properly attach the seal to the right freedom half that it is easier to just change the whole panel.
Old 12-24-2007, 08:14 AM
JK Junkie

Mine was leaking the day I picked it up.
Old 12-24-2007, 09:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just read this post this morning, then left for last minute frantic xmas shopping!

I got a hardtop 3 weeks or so ago.....never had any leaks, then after reading this post, everytime I came to a stop, I got a few drops on the dash. How frickin' weird is THAT!! I'm not reading any more negative posts, y'all jinxed me!!

I got a flashlight and watched the area....(center freedom panel seam, extreme frt) and noticed a weird little flap hanging down, removed the left panel, straightened out the flap, and reinstalled.

I haven't tried it again yet, but I guarantee I will get it fixed, no matter what!

This ain't rocket science people.......use your imagination and ingenuity!

(Yeah, I know, you shouldn't HAVE to....yet, YOU DO!)

Edit>>>>>>>>> mine's fixed!!

Last edited by dmerc; 12-25-2007 at 05:46 AM.

Quick Reply: Finally My Top Leaked