Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Flat Tow JK with RV

Old 04-11-2016, 06:47 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flat Tow JK with RV

Is anyone currently Flat Towing their JK behind an RV using an Aftermarket Bumper's D-Ring Recovery Points as the hook up to the tow bar?

It appears you could remove the D-Rings and bolt a tow bar directly to the recovery points.

I have yet to buy a bumper or tow bar and wanted to check if anyone else is doing this. I know I can buy a plate that mounts under the stock bumper as a tow point but would rather put that $350 towards an aftermarket bumper.

Thanks
Old 04-11-2016, 01:31 PM
JK Newbie

Default Yes I do...

Pitmaster,

Yes, I have towed my 2015 Rubicon Unlimited all over Oregon. I searched for bumpers that would work with tow bars. I am sure I will get slammed for what I am going to say, but here goes:
It mattered to me what the tow-bar maker and the bumper makers said. Of all the bumpers I checked (I am a geek and love to research) only Rock Hard 4x4 offered a bumper that fully supported being towed via tow-bar.

They offer several bumpers, steel, aluminum, winch / non-winch, full coverage, stubbies etc. Jeep Wrangler JK 1/4" Thick Bumpers Rock Hard 4x4 offer great customer service and love the aluminum full length winch bumper I purchased.

Once you know the tow-bar you will use (I found a great deal on Craigslist) let Rock Hard 4x4 know. They offer a set of brackets in which the tow-bar is connected to. These brackets attach to the front frame ends via the bumper. You do not need to purchase the bar that attaches to the frame under the bumper.

The only issue is the brackets are higher than that tow-bar manufacturer suggests. I have had no issues with this setup in any weather or terrain Oregon offers.

Please let me know if you would like more info.

Kevin
Old 04-11-2016, 01:40 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by rkstreet
The only issue is the brackets are higher than that tow-bar manufacturer suggests. I have had no issues with this setup in any weather or terrain Oregon offers.

Kevin
Is that because the tow bar sees more stress as it is raised or lowered beyond a certain angle from horizontal? It's probably benign until some hard braking is needed.
Old 04-11-2016, 06:34 PM
JK Newbie

I was told the issue is in the case of the toad being hit from behind. The bars are not as strong because of the steep angle of the bar. In most states the weight of the toad (Jeep JK) requires brakes of some sort be available.

kevin
Old 04-11-2016, 06:41 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by rkstreet
I was told the issue is in the case of the toad being hit from behind. The bars are not as strong because of the steep angle of the bar. In most states the weight of the toad (Jeep JK) requires brakes of some sort be available.

kevin
Thanks. I was thinking in the correct direction, but didn't have the correct cause.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:35 PM
JK Newbie

Kevin,
Thanks for the good information I will check out the selection from Rock Hard.

At this time I have no preference for a tow bar, I thought find a suitable bumper first then proceed from there.

It is my wife's Jeep and she does not want it lifted beyond a 2.5 TerraFlex Spring kit, so I am not sure where it will come in against Tow Bar manufactures recommend heights.
Old 04-12-2016, 05:37 AM
JK Newbie

Default XHD bumper

I flat tow my 2010 JK with a blue ox alpha towbar hooked to an XHD number and a ReadyBrake on the other. The XHD towbar adapters are from Etrailer.com. Installed a ReadyStop breakaway kit as well. With the leveling kit and 33s, I had to use a 6" riser from Roadmaster to level the towbar with the RV. Works great.
~redbug
Old 04-12-2016, 07:33 AM
JK Newbie

Currie tow bar mounting plate fits perfectly under poison spyder bumber and blue ox 10,000 tow bar. Jk on 40s is the perfect tow car!
Old 04-12-2016, 05:50 PM
JK Newbie

Newbie here. Im planning the same thing with the Rock Hard bumper, only one I've found that will accept the various tow bars out of the box. I believe LoD will weld the tabs on for you though.

Planning on using a Smartbrakellc brake system. So far its the only I've found that will use the brake controller in my truck. It uses a vacuum pump to help with the power brake boster, been wondering if I can use one already in place
Old 04-13-2016, 05:09 PM
JK Newbie

Default Thanks

I appreciate the responses, lots of good information. I know I will be going with the Rock Hard full width bumper, in aluminum with a winch.

The minimal amount her Jeep will be Off Road makes the light yet strong aluminum a good choice for us.

Quick Reply: Flat Tow JK with RV