Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Floppy hood

Old 10-02-2007, 06:25 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by seer1
Clackey,

I still think this fix looks too simple as in if it really worked, Chrysler'd be doing it already. (It really does work.)

What I really want to know is what did you do to all these guys that they give you such a hard time?

LOL When you dish it out you gotta be able to take it. Believe me, I dish it out so it always comes back.

And in regards to the hood fix I did. Yes it is simple and yes it does work. I commute about 150 miles a day round trip for work and every chance I get my foot is on the floor. I do 80 to 95 alot. My house is also located in what at times seems like a wind tunnel. (not the Dave Despain kind) My hood is S O L I D !!! No Lift. I know there are some other things guys have done on here that are pretty trick and some are down right difficult but I'm all about simple and to the point. It works try it. What do you have to lose, $5 and maybe 10 minutes?
Old 10-02-2007, 06:41 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was just looking at an '08 tonight and it appears the seal under the hood may be more robust than it appears inthe pictures of the mod. Can anyone with an '08 commenton whether they've seen this problem or not?
Old 10-02-2007, 06:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had this problem also and noticed it got alot worse when I removed the plastic air dam. I removed the spring and it completely fixed the problem. Hood is solid now but I rarely go over 75mph.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:12 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks again for your solution Clackey. Also, thanks James76 and Amt96 for explaining the TSB. I'll let you all know how the solution works when I try it!
Old 10-03-2007, 03:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scouter4life
I was just looking at an '08 tonight and it appears the seal under the hood may be more robust than it appears inthe pictures of the mod. Can anyone with an '08 commenton whether they've seen this problem or not?
My 08 definitely has the hood problem. Oncoming semi's makes my hood pop up like a little gopher! As far as the fix, using hose glued to the seal, I'm not so sure that it stops air from going under the hood....you gotta' remember, that blast of air is also going thru' the radiator, and under the hood. Plus the huge amount of lifting force caused by the shape and slope of the hood. Maybe it's just a more secure base for the hood? But, if it works, I'm IN!!

Gotta' get that done soon, before my hood takes flight!! It's Gotta' be hard on that poor little wimpy looking safety catch.

I'm also wondering if anyone will offer heavier latch rubber links?
Old 10-03-2007, 06:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you're a DIY'er, here's my solution to the hood problem.

Click here
Old 10-03-2007, 08:45 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by John L
If you're a DIY'er, here's my solution to the hood problem.

Click here
That's sweet... I'd put a patent on that right away, and sell it to some aftermarket company. We'll eat them up, and you'll make some cash...
Old 10-03-2007, 01:35 PM
JK Freak

id throw some cash your way for a set of them
Old 10-03-2007, 02:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the offer, but I won't make or sell a set for liability reasons.
I over-engineered them, but God forbid something should fail and someone get hurt or worse, killed, because of it. I could handle it myself, but would not want to have several sets out there to worry about.
Also, i have to have the jeep to do a proper fit, and the bottom bracket gets cannabilized in the process. I can and will, however, provide details for educational purposes if some one wants them....
Old 10-03-2007, 02:47 PM
JK Freak

please educate me then I can understand the liability thing in this sue happy nation we live in

Quick Reply: Floppy hood