Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Florida - OK to go without side mirrors?

Old 02-16-2013, 07:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Florida - OK to go without side mirrors?

I spent some time looking at the Florida statutes online. This is the only statute I found stating a mirror requirement:

316.294 Mirrors.—Every vehicle, operated singly or when towing any other vehicle, shall be equipped with a mirror so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of the motor vehicle. A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a nonmoving violation as provided in chapter 318.

It looks like the only requirement is a single rear view mirror. I would take this to mean that going doorless and without side mirrors is OK. Anyone have any info on this? Perhaps there is a Florida law enforcement officer on the forum.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:41 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RedJupiter
I spent some time looking at the Florida statutes online. This is the only statute I found stating a mirror requirement:

316.294 Mirrors.—Every vehicle, operated singly or when towing any other vehicle, shall be equipped with a mirror so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of the motor vehicle. A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a nonmoving violation as provided in chapter 318.

It looks like the only requirement is a single rear view mirror. I would take this to mean that going doorless and without side mirrors is OK. Anyone have any info on this? Perhaps there is a Florida law enforcement officer on the forum.
I live in Louisiana, and it is illegal here, and I have no idea about the laws there. But, I ran 1 day without my doors before I got my screw-in mirrors and I will not do that again. The vision out of the rearview mirror does not give you the view you need bro. If it was legal to ride with no mirrors in Louisiana, I would still install my screw-ons. My advice, get you some mirrors....JMO....
Old 02-16-2013, 08:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CajunTiger
I live in Louisiana, and it is illegal here, and I have no idea about the laws there. But, I ran 1 day without my doors before I got my screw-in mirrors and I will not do that again. The vision out of the rearview mirror does not give you the view you need bro. If it was legal to ride with no mirrors in Louisiana, I would still install my screw-ons. My advice, get you some mirrors....JMO....
Good advice. I may do that. On the other hand, having grown up riding motorcycles, I tend to turn my head to look to the sides anyway. I rarely ride with the top up, so the view all around is wide open!
Old 02-16-2013, 08:37 PM
JK Super Freak

I had the same question a couple of years ago when I got my JK and read the states statues too. I also think it means you only need the rear view mirror, but

I tried driving without the side mirrors and just turning my head to look for traffic, but I could not get used to not having side mirrors.

I won a set of really great mirrors from American Outlaw and they work very well. They go on fast and are in the same position and size as the factory mirrors.

Old 02-17-2013, 05:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since you mentioned riding motorcycles, you know how fast they can come up on you .Why take a chance with injuring or killing some one for the price of a pair of mirrors.It's always the one that "came out of nowhere" , why play roulette with others lives. Get a pair.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Four Low
Since you mentioned riding motorcycles, you know how fast they can come up on you .Why take a chance with injuring or killing some one for the price of a pair of mirrors.It's always the one that "came out of nowhere" , why play roulette with others lives. Get a pair.
I've had a number of close calls with unaware car drivers myself. On the other hand, I have yet to see a stealth motorcycle that I cannot hear before I see them, particularly with the top down, which Is the only time the doors are off. Still, I am looking into the mirrors mentioned above, and Harley mirrors. The mirror relocation brackets seem like a bad idea, as the passenger mirror becomes mostly unusable.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Anyone tried the Lange Originals or Olympic 4x4 models that attach to the upper door hinge? I hear the Rugged Ridge quick release model is good; looks like the bracket stays on the windshield header but the mirror and arm comes off.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does your keen sense of hearing, with all the road noise of diesel trucks , seem an adequate safeguard for for quiet rides, as in scooters , low sportscars, in short, the unexpected. I can see the accident report now."I didn't see
him (no mirrors) didn't hear him ( over other loud noises).I can't belive you're seriously considering no mirrors, or only one, for what, the "cool" factor? Gambling your unaided powers of observation against a life is the stuff accident reports are made of.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:24 AM
JK Newbie

Read FSS 316.2954 that also references mirrors. If your rear window has film or there is an obstruction you need side mirrors.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RedJupiter
Anyone tried the Lange Originals or Olympic 4x4 models that attach to the upper door hinge? I hear the Rugged Ridge quick release model is good; looks like the bracket stays on the windshield header but the mirror and arm comes off.
I got the Olympic mirrors. They look decent but are pretty useless to use. I've only used them once and couldn't adjust the view of it and the sit lower so I couldn't see anything but the ground.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3993877716.jpg
Views:	640
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	423276  

Quick Reply: Florida - OK to go without side mirrors?