Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

frameless soft top

Old 08-19-2014, 03:37 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default frameless soft top

I have an 08 4 door and thinking about buying a frameless soft top. Doors anybody have one and if so do you like it. What are the pros and cons of a frameless top

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using JK-Forum
Old 08-19-2014, 09:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heard nothing but good things about the Bestop Trektop NX. I have been planning on getting one since my JK only came with a hardtop.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I personally like the non NX top over the NX, I feel like the NX version reducing the point of getting a framless soft top.

My non NX version rolls up into a noodle and fits perfectly under a tonneau cover. Takes up next to no space, no hardware to fiddle with, nothing. The NX version has all the hardware junk that prevents it from rolling and results in looking like one of those haggard Jeeps you see driving down the road with a half assed folded down top flapping away in the back and nothing covering the cargo area. The NX is basically just a standard framed top with a slanted back.

I personally love my Trektop. As for disadvantages, since it doesn't have a frame it requires a little bit of a stretch to fit. When the temp is -5 to about +5 celsius it requires a bit of swearing to put on. +6 to +15 its relatively easy. Over +20 and it goes on like butter.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Vladimer
I personally like the non NX top over the NX, I feel like the NX version reducing the point of getting a framless soft top.

My non NX version rolls up into a noodle and fits perfectly under a tonneau cover. Takes up next to no space, no hardware to fiddle with, nothing. The NX version has all the hardware junk that prevents it from rolling and results in looking like one of those haggard Jeeps you see driving down the road with a half assed folded down top flapping away in the back and nothing covering the cargo area. The NX is basically just a standard framed top with a slanted back.

I personally love my Trektop. As for disadvantages, since it doesn't have a frame it requires a little bit of a stretch to fit. When the temp is -5 to about +5 celsius it requires a bit of swearing to put on. +6 to +15 its relatively easy. Over +20 and it goes on like butter.
Is the trek top (non nx) any louder than a factory soft top? At highway speed.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Rbzak
Is the trek top (non nx) any louder than a factory soft top? At highway speed.
I can't really say, sorry. I went from a TJ with soft top to the JK with hard top, then got the trektop.

Recently sold that JK and got a 4 door and sold the factory soft top to get the non NX trektop again. Didn't even put the factory oem soft top on so really can't compare. The jungle gym of hardware was too much work for the top lol.

I can tell you that it is quieter then the TJ soft top, haven't bothered putting my hard top back on through the winters and would use the trek top year round. Never had any issues with heat, once the cab was warm I can drop it down to 1 or 2 setting to keep the temp up. We get pretty good winters up here.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

I meant to ask this to but forgot. Do u have a problem with it leaking? Some say they do.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Rbzak
I meant to ask this to but forgot. Do u have a problem with it leaking? Some say they do.
Not sure if I was just lucky or not, but had it for a couple years and it would never leak. I've had it through summers, winters, covered in salt, would pressure wash it all the time, etc... No leaks. I have my 4 door trektop still in the box and haven't had a chance to get help to take the hard top off. Hoping it doesn't leak... at the end of the day, guys with hard tops, soft tops, framed tops, frameless tops, etc.. all have said there tops leak and don't by X brand so really you are never 100% sure.

I should mention that there is a small gap between the door frame and the A-pillar, when pressure washing if I shoot it horizontally into that area I will get a little bit of water on the inside portion of that area. That is an actual pressure washer though, for real world rain/snow/sleet/rain storm, never took on water.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: frameless soft top