Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Pennsylvania Owners - Wheel Spacers

Old 09-04-2012, 06:03 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pennsylvania Owners - Wheel Spacers

Was checking on putting 1 1/2" wheel spacers on the Jeep, but in my research found that Pennsylvania only allows 1/2" spacers. Have any of you that have the 1 1/2 spacers had any problem with state inspection of your Jeep.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:18 AM
JK Freak

I'm so glad I don't live in PA, the worst most invasive vehicle inspection known to man.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Flip94ta
I'm so glad I don't live in PA, the worst most invasive vehicle inspection known to man.
I live in PA and I agree with you 100%, which is why it pays to cultivate a good relationship with the right inspection mechanic...
Old 09-04-2012, 12:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought California was the worst place to try to mod a vechicle.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well look at it this way.. If its anything like texas, they are required to give you 15 days to correct what ever fails the inspection with no additional charge. If they fail you, just take them off and come back :p
Old 09-04-2012, 12:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

I guess I'm one of the few people here who doesn't mind having safety inspections. Most people around here don't check their brakes or tires on their own and I've seen some of the crap people are driving 80 miles an hour on the highways in the rain in other states. I just don't understand why the emissions laws are different county to county. Low population or not the car is still putting out CO. Either do it nationwide or don't do it at all.

Sorry to hijack, and yes some people do run spacers around here. You just don't know if the mechanic will catch it or not. You know you're not supposed to have you tires sticking out either right? Yet plenty of jeeps do. I drove mine that way for years and finally the same mechanic who passed it in previous years failed it for the tires sticking out.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tersay
Was checking on putting 1 1/2" wheel spacers on the Jeep, but in my research found that Pennsylvania only allows 1/2" spacers. Have any of you that have the 1 1/2 spacers had any problem with state inspection of your Jeep.
You will have inspection problem. I was under the impression only 1/4" was the limit. I agree with the others PA is a bastard state for inspection. Why do you want the wheel spacers? I have 35's and no spacers, if you get a longer steering stop bolt it will not rub the sway bar, just something to think about besides wheel spacers need maintained as well and here with all the road salt they can corrode and fail even if they are aluminum.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine passed inspection at the dealership. Maybe they were just too lazy to take the wheels off?????

Oh...and my tires stick out past the flares too.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:35 PM
JK Newbie

I have 1.5 spacers on mine and passed inspection with no problems. Just stayed away from the dealership.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:40 PM
JK Newbie

I have inspected vehicles in PA about 17 years and have taught the inspectors class for about 10. What I have found is 10 techs can have 10 different opinions as to what actually passes and what fails. In one shop things that actually pass, like a torn CV boot, get failed, and 1.5" spacers that fail, get passed. There are a few factors that contribute to this, the most common two are how detailed the person who taught the class to that individual inspecting your vehicle was when covering the material, and the compentence of the tech himself. Compound this with a inspection guide that is some what outdated, and written in a legal manner that is confusing to some techs and it is easy to see why you can have the above extremes.

Quick Reply: Pennsylvania Owners - Wheel Spacers