Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Front axel/yolk play

Old 11-06-2023, 09:17 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front axel/yolk play

Hey all. Been chasing down some steering issues.

Is this in and out movement normal at the front axel and yolk?

It didn't let me upload the video so here's a pic instead.
Basically I can pull the yolk in and out. I don't think that's normal?

Thanks for looking.
Old 11-06-2023, 11:30 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,597 Posts

Bit confused, cuz the only thing really holding all that in place is the axle nut on the other side of the unit bearing. if you are able to pull that in/out while the knuckle remains still, where is that play coming from? You got the axle nut, then the u-joint holding the inner and outer shafts together. Is that axle nut torqued down?
The following users liked this post:
Dannyboy100 (11-06-2023)
Old 11-06-2023, 01:54 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
Bit confused, cuz the only thing really holding all that in place is the axle nut on the other side of the unit bearing. if you are able to pull that in/out while the knuckle remains still, where is that play coming from? You got the axle nut, then the u-joint holding the inner and outer shafts together. Is that axle nut torqued down?

Your'e absolutely right. That was the issue. The axel nut was loosening up. Got a new nut torqued it down. No more play. I should've just checked that first before I started a post.

I was starting to lose hope! Ive been checking my front end for a week. The 4 x4 place by me wanted to swap out the steering box. I'm glad I didn't let them.

Thanks for replying.
Old 11-07-2023, 05:26 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

scary.....but glad you noticed it and located the issue!
The following users liked this post:
Dannyboy100 (11-09-2023)
Old 11-09-2023, 09:23 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
scary.....but glad you noticed it and located the issue!
Looks like it only fixed some the issue. I tightened the nut, and definitely feel a lot safer and able to get to 70.
But I'm still having some major vibrations in the seat, pedals and steering wheel. Also, every time I turn and accelerate it feels sluggish, worse to the right. And I feel resistance in the steering wheel.

I wonder if driving with that loose nut damaged something. Warped rotor? Bad tires? I've checked almost everything!

Old 11-09-2023, 11:23 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

I can't see how that would have damaged anything. I presume there was likely just enough play in that for you to be able to move it a little and realize something was not right. Outside of the shaft sliding a bit in and out of the spider gears in the diff and the unit bearing on the other end when you manually shoved it back and forth, the wheel, brakes, unit bearing, et all did not move that whole time. Normally vibes you're feeling in your seat are driveline related.....though peddle vibes seem like brakes and that could affect steering wheel as well since it's all right there at the knuckle.

You could swap front tires to back just to see if tires are coming into play. If you had a dial indicator you could check to see if the rotors were warped, but that is typically easy to determine as it's a lot worse when you apply the brakes and get a ton of pulsating. What you're experiencing is pretty much just vibrations in the steering and not "wobbles" right?
Old 11-09-2023, 03:36 PM
JK Newbie

I swapped the tires, no change.

The vibrations are weird because they're not always there. For instance, I randomly checked the torque on the track bar frame bolt, it was a bit loose. I drove it....no vibes, no pull, steering wheel not resisting drove like a dream. I said, great it was the track bar. Came.
back from my test drive and i decided to check the axel bolt. It seemed ok. Went for a drive and everything was back. This is literally driving me nuts! Lmao.

The vibration seem rhythmic, cyclical. Leads me to think it's got to be brake or knuckle related? When I slow down it feels like the vibes slow down with it. Not a DW.

Checked the brakes, cleaned the slide pins and hardware. I was able to push the piston in. It didn't seem seized. I'll be honest I didn't what to look for but I figured I'd see if something didn't look right.
Old 11-09-2023, 03:40 PM
JK Newbie

I forgot to mention. I do occasionally feel pulsating? Maybe. Kinda like a rumble at the brake pedal...not abs a bit more subtle but noticeable. From time to time it will pull hard to the right, hasn't done that since I tightened the axle nut though. It does seem to pull a bit to the right when driving straight.

Quick Reply: Front axel/yolk play