Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Front end moan.

Old 10-15-2018, 08:26 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front end moan.

I have experienced this issue 2 times and it only seems to do it after wheeling after 2+ hours. Typical trail consists of many washouts, steep inclines and declines. After about 2 hours of trailing, when turning left or right I start to hear a moaning sound. Only happens when I am turning left or right while riding the trail. I am in 4-low almost the entire time due to the extremely steep inclines, averaging about 5MPH or slower. 2.5" lift, 32" tires, stock steering setup, jku sport, 3.21 ratio. I have changed front diff fluid, no metal pieces etc, same issue. When I first get on the trail it makes no moaning sounds. Just after heavy wheeling for the 2+ hours.
Old 10-15-2018, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

You may be in need of a cooler for your power steering. I haven't had the issue but if you're steadily working the steering and that's when it starts moaning then that may be a good place to investigate.

2012 JKU- how many miles and when was the power steering fluid last serviced?
Old 10-15-2018, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

If it sounds anything like this............
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1lG...lqQu9NpE0g41C7

and your front axle U-Joints look like this......

Then I can tell you from experience, that your front axle U-Joints need to be replaced. Your description sounds similar to my experience.

See here:
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...r-lift-343000/
Old 10-16-2018, 04:23 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Rednroll
If it sounds anything like this............
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1lG...lqQu9NpE0g41C7

and your front axle U-Joints look like this......

Then I can tell you from experience, that your front axle U-Joints need to be replaced. Your description sounds similar to my experience.

See here:
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...r-lift-343000/

That clip is more of a squeak and typical ujoint sound. Mine sounds more like a zombie following me through the trails. 🧟*♂️
Old 10-16-2018, 04:25 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
You may be in need of a cooler for your power steering. I haven't had the issue but if you're steadily working the steering and that's when it starts moaning then that may be a good place to investigate.

2012 JKU- how many miles and when was the power steering fluid last serviced?
the jeep has 98k miles on it. I have put 3k on it. I’m not sure if the power steering fluid has been serviced.,is there a way to tell by looking at the fluid if it is past due for a change?
Old 10-16-2018, 07:03 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

The manual says that color and odor -should not- be used as an indicator of fluid life. I would say at 100k miles, where you are, to get as much out and replace the fluid with fresh fluid. I used a turkey baster. Lift the tires off the ground, rotate lock to lock, replace some fluid, rotate lock to lock, replace some fluid, and just keep going until the fluid looks mostly clean. The 07-11 called for Mopar ATF+4 but check your manual.
Old 10-17-2018, 04:57 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by 2012silverjku

That clip is more of a squeak and typical ujoint sound. Mine sounds more like a zombie following me through the trails. ��*♂️
Find the moan, and shotgun to the head seems to work best.

You're likely on the right track with the power steering then.

Quick Reply: Front end moan.