Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Front/Rear track bar

Old 04-13-2007, 05:09 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Front/Rear track bar - Newbie questions

What are they for? I'm trying to better understand the differences in the plethora of suspensions out there. What exactly are the track bars for? What role do they play in the suspension?

Last edited by JackMac4; 04-13-2007 at 06:02 AM.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:16 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Track bars (sometimes called panhard rods) keep the axle from moving laterally (side-to-side). They do "track" somewhat in an arc as the suspension moves up and down, but without it your axle would move around significantly.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

edited to say Redegade beat me to it.

I am sure there is a better explanation. But basically:

You have control arms that allow the vehicle to move up and down but NOT move forward and backward (stays above the axles). You have track bars to allow the vehicle to move up and down but NOT move side to side.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:32 AM
JK Jedi

So where does it connect to? Does the track bar connect to each end of the axle? How exactly does it prevent the axle from shifting side to side. I notice the bend, so maybe it connects to the frame somewhere to the right of the differential and then connects to one end of the axle?
Old 04-13-2007, 05:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

you got it...one end connects to the frame, the other to the axle (through a bracket)
Old 04-13-2007, 05:50 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JackMacOKC
So where does it connect to? Does the track bar connect to each end of the axle? How exactly does it prevent the axle from shifting side to side. I notice the bend, so maybe it connects to the frame somewhere to the right of the differential and then connects to one end of the axle?
Under a TJ, but same setup,.....hooks to Axle & Frame. Will stop side to side motion.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-13-2007, 05:51 AM
JK Jedi

Awesome. So i'm deducing that an adjustable trackbar is advantageous for lifted suspensions because you can adjust for the difference in length between that mount point and the axle, as compared to a stock trackbar. How do they adjust? By twisting or some sort of locking mechanism?

Edit..thanks for that pic....And thanks everyone for the edumacation!
Old 04-13-2007, 06:02 AM
JK Jedi

Ok, here's another question. Where does the sway bar come into play here. The way bar keeps from body flexing from side to side correct? What does the electronic swaybar disconnect really provide? I guess I don't see what the advantage of having that is.
Old 04-13-2007, 06:12 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JackMacOKC
Ok, here's another question. Where does the sway bar come into play here. The way bar keeps from body flexing from side to side correct? What does the electronic swaybar disconnect really provide? I guess I don't see what the advantage of having that is.
Here ya go,....great write-up with pictures.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...hlight=swaybar

Last edited by nam6869usmc; 04-13-2007 at 06:35 AM.
Old 04-13-2007, 06:29 AM
SCF
JK Enthusiast

sway bar keeps the jeep from "swaying" or "rolling" from side to side while on the road making turns. It inhibits the axle from flexing more offroad.

Quick Reply: Front/Rear track bar