Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

frozen door hing pins - HELP ?!

Old 06-26-2007, 11:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default frozen door hing pins - HELP ?!

While trying to remove the doors I found that the hing pins are corroded, makeing it impossible to lift the door off the hinges. I tried lube and a nail set/hammer but no luck. Suggestion please!
Old 06-26-2007, 11:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a suggestion but be sure that you are applying presure straight up from the hinge. If you grab the door from the opposite end and lift you are trying to remove it from the hinge at and angle and the door may not come out.
I know this happens with my TJ if I am not paying attention about where I lift from.
I usually grab the limiting strap and the top front edge of the door frame and lift.

If the pins are corroded can you still open the door? Seems to me that you wouldn't be able to even open it.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:47 AM
JK Newbie

Need to rock the door back and forth while lifting and it should come right off.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just to cover all bases, you did take the retaining bolts out of the bottoms?
Old 06-26-2007, 12:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you can get it to separate at all, squirt a little wd-40 onto the hinge pin and then push it all the way down so it spreads the lubrication. Keep applying this method until you work it free.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Nuts are removed and the doors do swing left/right. The nuts were visible oxidized (like what happens on the old painted mirrors that flake off). The entire vehicle was rocking while trying to lift straight up.
???
Old 06-26-2007, 12:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default doors

Originally Posted by mewaschuk
Nuts are removed and the doors do swing left/right. The nuts were visible oxidized (like what happens on the old painted mirrors that flake off). The entire vehicle was rocking while trying to lift straight up.
???
If you have the door opened straight out from the jeep it should pull right up...

Trending Topics

Old 06-26-2007, 12:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Have someone lightly tap the bottom of the door with a rubber mallet while you pull up perpendicular to the ground. Swing if you must, but your helper might miss with the hammer.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TrAvELAr
If you can get it to separate at all, squirt a little wd-40 onto the hinge pin and then push it all the way down so it spreads the lubrication. Keep applying this method until you work it free.
I would not use WD-40! While it is a good lubicant, it is know for it's "dust collecting" attributes. It has a very bad habit of accumulating dust which might make the doors more difficult to remove in the future. If you really want something that will work and keep the door hinges dust-free just squirt a little powered graphite in the hinge. But watch out, that graphite can be a bit dirty!
Old 06-26-2007, 06:47 PM
JK Newbie

while lifting up swing the door open and shut, it will work it right out.

Quick Reply: frozen door hing pins - HELP ?!