Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Fuel Economy

Old 12-08-2008, 05:27 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Economy

So my 08 jk has been wonderfull to date with 6100 Km. First oil change has been done and is in stock form still. I have been watching the Est. fuel Ecconomy gauge and things dont seem to be good in that department. The best it has been was 13.5L/100Km once and it did not stay their too long. on average it reads 14.5 but has been as high as 15.5. I drive the same style and same roads (80% city 20% hwy). I cant seem to get it to drop below 14.3 anymore. What is everone elses readings? Why did it get to 13 only once and how can I get it back down in that range again? I know that highway driving will do it but the time it went down was just just city driving. I am only getting App. 460Km on a tank of gas. Thats 100km less than the wifes more powerfull CARAVAN. WTF??
Old 12-08-2008, 05:39 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well first off the gauge is an estimate. You need to determine your real MPG the old fashion way. Second, the gauge is cumulative unless you reset it. Your results are skewed if you don't reset it at fill-up.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:49 AM
JK Junkie

tire and wheel size will throw it off too! the bigger you go... the less miles you read... therefore more gas and less miles (at least the computer thinks so)

i am running 33" at's on a long road trip (mainly interstate driving 65-70) my readout was 15.2 mpg.... my gps tracker and some old fashion hand calculations gave me 16.9 mpg.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:55 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The more tanks you average from, the closer your estimate will be. General rule of thumb has been to average three tankfuls. It's not something you can read off a gauge.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:18 AM
JK Newbie

I figured that it is only an average and was just wondering what others were getting and what was making it so thirsty. I also didn't know it can be reset. I will do a search to find out how.
Thanks for the quick help.

Chop.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a Jeep. You're numbers sound accurate. It will not get any better.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:34 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Chopur
I figured that it is only an average and was just wondering what others were getting and what was making it so thirsty. I also didn't know it can be reset. I will do a search to find out how.

Chop.
It is an average, you were certainly right. The thing is, usually, the more tankfuls you average from, the better you'll see it get. To a point, of course. Mine consistantly gets between 19 and 22. I drive like the old man that I am. No jackrabbit starts and I keep the RPM under 2K as much as humanly possible. I mean damn, it's a Jeep. I'm sure when I put the 33s on it that I want, I'll see some change.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:38 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Chopur

Chop.
To reset it, just press in the button next to it and hold it until it goes blank, then it's been reset.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:11 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
It is an average, you were certainly right. The thing is, usually, the more tankfuls you average from, the better you'll see it get. To a point, of course. Mine consistantly gets between 19 and 22. I drive like the old man that I am. No jackrabbit starts and I keep the RPM under 2K as much as humanly possible. I mean damn, it's a Jeep. I'm sure when I put the 33s on it that I want, I'll see some change.
I do the same type of driving. I rarely go above 2k and I make sure I don't have any rough shifts. I'm in a manual so if I dump on the gas and just shift at every 2k RPM I would still get crap mileage because I'm dumping on the gas. You gotta go easy on the Jeep to get decent mileage. Besides it's a Jeep you don't need to haul-@$$ everywhere you go... it's not built for that kind of driving.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:01 AM
JK Newbie

Man do I feel stupid! Thanks for the info on resetting the fuel ecc. I just figured that it would be a running average from the get go. I also drive on the light side and very rarely hammer it. If I wanted speeding tickets I would have bought something else. Very happy with the Jk even though the Fuel ecc. isn't the greatest.

Quick Reply: Fuel Economy