Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Fuel Milage

Old 07-23-2007, 08:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Milage

I've read a few threads where a few are claiming upwards of 300 miles on a tank... even with auto's and 4.10's

I've got a two door with a manual, 4.10s, and stock 225 70 16's, and I'm hitting about 120 on a half tank with topping off.. I dont get it. at the rate I'm going, I'm looking at 240-250 miles per tank full.... I dont throttle down crazily... I do cruise at around 75-80 on the interstate.

also, when I fill up, The most I've been able to squeeze into my tank is just a little over 15.5 gallons, with the needle pegged on E. and I've seen that my jeep is supposed to have an 18.4 gallon tank (if I remember correctly).

Anyone have any suggestions
Old 07-24-2007, 04:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

What you're seeing is the 4 door crowd getting 300+, they have bigger tanks.
Your mileage will get better, give it time.

I only got 14 at first, now I"m getting 17, and that's with a 2 door auto, 4.10's, 33" procomps. I chicken out at about 290 miles and fill up, but I know I could go 300 if I had to. I have about 5300 miles on it.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default i get good gas mileage

Yeah, I’ve also heard and read a lot on this subject, and have talked to other JK owners in person (2dr and 4dr) and for some reason; it seems I’m getting some wicked gas mileage. When I fill up, it’s around 18gl and I have either 380-400 miles (if I’ve been driving highway a lot) and 300-320 (if I’ve been driving the city). In fact, my tank is on the half mark and I’ve been doing nothing but short runs all over the city and I have 154 miles on it.

I even got to test this back when I went off roading with 2 other JK's. I made it from Germantown to Harrisonburg on 1/2 tank (give or take) while the other two guys were almost empty. And yes, all of us had full tanks when we left.

I've seen my little MPG display read, and stay on 22mpg during long trips. If I’m crossing mountains, it will drop to around 18-19. But it’s one of those things where it reads 19-20 going downhill and 16-17 going up.

I will admit that if I drive it like a bat out of hell, my gas mileage drops to something like 12 or 13. I don't do jack rabbit starts; I’ve learned the shift points on my auto so I can almost keep it in the gear I want. I also cruise at 70, and no more than 75. After 75mph, the gas mileage starts going down. My jeep runs around 2k on the RPM @ 70mph. That’s with the 4.10 gears and auto. So I don’t know what to tell ya…
Old 07-24-2007, 05:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've been really impressed with my mileage. Mine is a 2 dr 6 speed X with 3.21 gears. So far my average per tank has been around 22.5, that includes hwy and city driving. I get around 310-330 a tank full. I've seen my "mileage-o-meter" read up to 24-26 mpg out on a 60 mph hwy cruise. I also drive it like granny stole it!!
Old 07-24-2007, 05:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mustangpro
I also drive it like granny stole it!!
HAHA! Yeah, that'll work...
Old 07-24-2007, 06:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mustangpro
I've been really impressed with my mileage. Mine is a 2 dr 6 speed X with 3.21 gears. So far my average per tank has been around 22.5, that includes hwy and city driving. I get around 310-330 a tank full. I've seen my "mileage-o-meter" read up to 24-26 mpg out on a 60 mph hwy cruise. I also drive it like granny stole it!!
Yep, that's what a manual and 3.21's will do for ya. Enjoy it!!
Old 07-24-2007, 07:48 AM
JK Junkie

I was once like you guys, fixated on that MPG display (which is questionably accurate on a GOOD day)... but now I just drive with the Compass/Temp display, and only check that MPG display when I'm on a long highway cruise or at a fill-up (to compare against REAL MPG).

Oh, and for the record, I now regularly get 17.5 in "City" driving, with pretty strong acceleration (as opposed to granny-footing it), and my 2-door can go slightly over 300 miles on a tankful if I'm driving mainly highway. I'm road-tripping out to Chicago on Thursday, and will be back next week with a load of fresh highway miles to plug into my tracking spreadsheet (yeah - I'm anal like that).

Anyhow, you need to break your MPG-o-meter addictions, or else you're driving the wrong vehicles... how would a 7" lifted Prius on 22" meats do offroad?

Last edited by MJS_Jeep_888; 07-24-2007 at 07:51 AM.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WestGaParrotHead

also, when I fill up, The most I've been able to squeeze into my tank is just a little over 15.5 gallons, with the needle pegged on E. and I've seen that my jeep is supposed to have an 18.4 gallon tank (if I remember correctly).

Anyone have any suggestions
The 2 door has an 18.6 gallon tank. The owners manual says when the gauge is on E there is still approx. 2 gallons left in the tank. Last week my chime sounded right when I pulled into the gas station and I put 14.7 gallons in. So it looks like the chime goes off with approx 4 gallons remaining in the tank, it takes another two gallons to hit the E mark then there still should be another 2 gallons in reserve.

I just filled up again this morning, 15.7 gallons and had gone 300.1 miles. 19.1 mpg which just happened to be what the onboard computer display said I was averaging. I have a 2 door, 6 speed, 4.10's, stock 32" goodyears. My driving is probably about 60/40 highway and around town.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:51 AM
JK Freak

seems like everyone on this site is doing better than me for some reason. i average about 12-13. thats 60/40 city/hwy driving at moderate acceleration. i don't even make it to 200 miles before my gas light comes on.

before the 35s i was only getting about 14-15mpg. so i lost some mpg as expected but i'm getting about the same as a ford excursion as this point :(
Old 07-26-2007, 08:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by atomicmecha
Yeah, I’ve also heard and read a lot on this subject, and have talked to other JK owners in person (2dr and 4dr) and for some reason; it seems I’m getting some wicked gas mileage. When I fill up, it’s around 18gl and I have either 380-400 miles (if I’ve been driving highway a lot) and 300-320 (if I’ve been driving the city). In fact, my tank is on the half mark and I’ve been doing nothing but short runs all over the city and I have 154 miles on it.

I even got to test this back when I went off roading with 2 other JK's. I made it from Germantown to Harrisonburg on 1/2 tank (give or take) while the other two guys were almost empty. And yes, all of us had full tanks when we left.

I've seen my little MPG display read, and stay on 22mpg during long trips. If I’m crossing mountains, it will drop to around 18-19. But it’s one of those things where it reads 19-20 going downhill and 16-17 going up.

I will admit that if I drive it like a bat out of hell, my gas mileage drops to something like 12 or 13. I don't do jack rabbit starts; I’ve learned the shift points on my auto so I can almost keep it in the gear I want. I also cruise at 70, and no more than 75. After 75mph, the gas mileage starts going down. My jeep runs around 2k on the RPM @ 70mph. That’s with the 4.10 gears and auto. So I don’t know what to tell ya…
I'm about in the same ballpark mileage wise. I made a road trip to Baltimore, MD. which is about 245 miles from my hometown. I still had about a 1/4 tank left and the trip computer registered about 22.1 mpg which is real close to being accurate.

Quick Reply: Fuel Milage