Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Gas pooling around fuel pump

Old 03-06-2023, 05:26 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Gas pooling around fuel pump

so I have gas pooling around my fuel pump, ive been doing a lot of research on it but cant seem to find a solid answer. I read that it could be the fuel pump gasket or a bad fuel pump. my jeep runs fine tho, so how would i know if the fuel pump is bad? i checked all the hoses for leaks and cracks and found nothing. so does that mean its probably the gasket? any ideas?
Old 03-06-2023, 05:43 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,837 Likes on 1,606 Posts

It's not uncommon for fuel pumps to form a crack on the top and leak a bit there.....in any car these days. I'd find it hard to think it was the gasket unless someone recently removed and reinstalled it and the gasket got off a bit. One thing is for certain. The tank needs to be dropped so you can get a good look at it and likely replace it. It's not super safe to be driving around if you know that is leaking.
Old 03-07-2023, 04:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

I just changed my pump for the same reason. The pump assembly had formed cracks on the top and was leaking out when the tank was full. I was dreading the job but it really was a lot easier than i had anticipated.
Old 03-07-2023, 04:47 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i appreciate the help, ill drop my tank sometime this week and check for cracks on top of the fuel pump. luckily i have access to a garage with a lift.
Old 03-08-2023, 04:35 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,837 Likes on 1,606 Posts

Having replaced a few fuel pumps on other vehicles in the last couple years......I'd say if you plan on keeping that jeep for a while then go with OEM replacement. The vehicles I've popped some in recently have been older and I'd refer to them as "we are their last owner" so I've gone cheap just to get by longer. You certainly can see a quality difference in cheap vs. OEM.
Old 03-10-2023, 11:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

One piece of advise is to pay close attention to the fuel and vent lines running up the side of the tank in particular. They cross over one another and snap in in some not so intuitive ways running up the side. In wished i had taken video of them before i had unplugged everything and ended ip spending more time realigning them in install than anything else. Also be prepared to spend a good amount of time cleaning the harness and clip on top of the fuel pump with a toothbrush and pick before u unclip. Mine was packed with 9 years of dirt and road grime and i probably spent 40 minutes with said toothbrush and pick and a shop vac cleaning it before it would release. That was the hardest part of the job. I really didnt want to break any clips and they were packed.
The following users liked this post:
resharp001 (03-13-2023)

Quick Reply: Gas pooling around fuel pump