Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

P0456 - I've tried everything - PLEASE HELP

Old 02-20-2023, 03:08 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation P0456 - I've tried everything - PLEASE HELP

Hey Jeep community,

I own a 2013 10th Anniversary Rubicon 4-door with around 36k miles. I bought it when it was around 25k miles from another owner that bought it at 20k miles and would only drive it around 1000 miles a year until I bought it. Since I bought it, I've struggled with this P0456 evap code. When I did my first oil change, it got triggered, and the shop replaced my gas cap and cleared the code, and I was smooth for about 4000-5000 miles.

Then after that, it would come on, and I would replace the gas cap and clear it, then it would keep coming back.

So I started researching and saw that it could be the vapor canister. So I bought that and cleared it. Only for it to come back about a week later. Then I saw that it could also be the purge valve, and during this time, I also got another code for the coolant thermostat. So I ordered the thermostat and the purge valve together and did the repairs the same day. after about a week of driving, the P0456 came right back. and now I'm here.

My last resort seems like I need to buy a smoker, but I wanted to reach out here and see if someone can help me. Suppose someone knows how to fix it or someone trustworthy to take it too, as all the jeep dealer service centers put a bad taste in my mouth. Please let me know! I'm in Los Angeles
Old 02-21-2023, 05:04 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,600 Posts

This one is a common aggravation. I have a '13 myself and it nags me from time to time, and then I'll go long stretches with no issues before it randomly pops up again. I just did a long trip this weekend and the damn "gascap" message and P0456 nagged me all the way home! It has never become a constant issue for me so I just continue to clear it and roll on. A lot of folks find cracks at the connections on top of the gas tank. Unfortunately there's no easy way to inspect those while the tank is in place.....unless there was an obvious complete break which is less likely. Another common place is the lines that run up by the battery tray to the purge solenoid valve. I've never had luck finding anything on my jeep. I think the real answer is definitely a smoke test.
Old 02-22-2023, 03:20 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

When it happened with my 2012 I played with and replaced the gas cap. Didn't help. I then simply twisted and reseated a rubber hose going to the evap canister and the trouble went away and never came back.
The following 2 users liked this post by rob_engineer:
nmunlin (03-08-2023), resharp001 (02-22-2023)
Old 02-27-2023, 05:00 PM
JK Newbie

There is a vent line, actually a couple, that run to the gas tank. One in particular runs with the fuel filler hose and is held to each other by two zip ties. That vent line is a common issue and breaks easily. I just broke mine while installing an air tank. I would check it to see if it’s cracked or broken by very carefully wiggling it. I repeat very carefully. Unfortunately, it cannot be replaced but can be repaired if you are creative. Replacing the entire fuel tank is the only other way to fix. In the pic you can see where I broke mine.
Old 02-28-2023, 07:39 AM
JK Newbie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Girl dad, I broke one of those gas tank fittings and was success in repairing it by inserting the appropriate size brass hobby tube and epoxying the broken off piece . Pic below isn’t the final rather just showing the tube which is required for strength

E
The following users liked this post:
GirlDad (02-28-2023)
Old 02-28-2023, 08:58 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by KTMKayaker
Girl dad, I broke one of those gas tank fittings and was success in repairing it by inserting the appropriate size brass hobby tube and epoxying the broken off piece . Pic below isn’t the final rather just showing the tube which is required for strength

E
Where did you get the tube and what size? This is the repair I am about to tackle.
Old 02-28-2023, 09:19 AM
JK Newbie

Hi Girldad, I bought the assorted selection in the pic attached and picked the best fit.
search Amazon you’ll have it tomorrow. Don’t forget the epoxy.

GirlDad (02-28-2023)
Old 02-28-2023, 09:21 AM
JK Newbie

May also be available at hobby lobby and or Ace hardware. I found Amazon easiest
GirlDad (02-28-2023)
Old 02-28-2023, 11:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

I made the exact same repair using copper tube just as you did. However, I did not use the same size ID tubing but just alittle smaller ID which still caused the ultra slow gas tank fill. Please make sure the tube has same ID as this vent system is very finicky.
GirlDad (02-28-2023)
Old 02-28-2023, 12:13 PM
JK Newbie

Could drill the hole in the plastic to fit the next size up copper tube then there’d be no restriction in size.
GirlDad (02-28-2023)

Quick Reply: P0456 - I've tried everything - PLEASE HELP