Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Gearing?

Old 02-06-2014, 04:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gearing?

I am looking into the 3.21 to 3.73 gear change on my 2013 JK "Next Gen" (D30/D44) axles. Along with sourcing the ring and pinion, do I also need to source new carriers? And if I later decide to go to 4.10s, will I need new carriers again?
Old 02-06-2014, 04:50 AM
JK Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

That's a waste of money going 3.21s to 3.73s. Just go 4.10s now if that's your end game, why pay that much for labor twice?
Semper
Old 02-06-2014, 04:55 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

your rear carrier is fine you will need a new front carrier. If you can find a good set of very low mileage take offs for cheap and find affordable labor it might be worth it but otherwise I would look at 4.10's or 4.56's. I was in the same boat. I had a 13 4 door with 3.21 and auto and started shopping to get 4.10's and in my area I was looking at over $2000 for parts and labor. I just traded and got a new Rubicon with 4.10's.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

My end game is 3.73 with 33s. But who knows what the future holds; I may get a bug someday and decide to lift and up the tire size again. Since this is my daily driver, for now the 3.73/33 is where I'll be going. And since I'll be doing the install myself (and I'm retired) labor time is cheap (zero).

But, here is another question. I don't know what it comes with from the factory, but since I'm in there is a change to full synthetic a good call? And if so, how about a multi-grade. I know that Royal Purple has the multi-grades, and they have worked well in my stock car, and they lube really well. With the lower viscosity there is less parasitic power loss through the drive train and things just run smoother.

I appreciate your opinions and look forward to your next input.

Thanks & Semper Fi.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:53 AM
JK Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by USMC20yrs
My end game is 3.73 with 33s. But who knows what the future holds; I may get a bug someday and decide to lift and up the tire size again. Since this is my daily driver, for now the 3.73/33 is where I'll be going. And since I'll be doing the install myself (and I'm retired) labor time is cheap (zero).

But, here is another question. I don't know what it comes with from the factory, but since I'm in there is a change to full synthetic a good call? And if so, how about a multi-grade. I know that Royal Purple has the multi-grades, and they have worked well in my stock car, and they lube really well. With the lower viscosity there is less parasitic power loss through the drive train and things just run smoother.

Thanks & Semper Fi.
In that case go with the 3.73s. I went with royal purple when I went to 4.88s. Costs more and smells just as bad but seems to work just fine
Old 02-06-2014, 06:10 AM
JK Jedi

synthetic for sure. while you are in there I would consider putting in a locker of some sort. Heck you need to get a new carrier for the front any way so why not just use that money towards a tru tac or something similar. Another option is try and find some one who has upgraded to D60's and just swap out the whole axle assemblies. It would be a lot less work then swapping gears and no special tools would be needed like when swapping gears. A good gear installer is a talented individual.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by USMC20yrs

Thanks & Semper Fi.
I run Royal Purple in mine and will continue to do so after I swap out my 3.21's to 4.10's. Too bad nobody is looking for 3.21's with low miles
Glad you're spending your free time on retirement well!

v/r
Old 02-06-2014, 09:29 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by BlikitSchmikit
I run Royal Purple in mine and will continue to do so after I swap out my 3.21's to 4.10's. Too bad nobody is looking for 3.21's with low miles
Glad you're spending your free time on retirement well!

v/r
they make great paper weights or door holders. If a guy could sell a set of used 3.21's he should move up to Alaska to sell snow to Eskimos.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:34 PM
JK Newbie

I have a set of rear 3.73 gears taken out of my 2014 JKU with less than 100 miles on them. PM me if you're interested.

Quick Reply: Gearing?