Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Getting a "Check Up" under warranty?

Old 06-04-2013, 11:14 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting a "Check Up" under warranty?

I just bought a used 2010 4-door Unlimited Sport with 32k miles and the Toyota dealer I purchased it from said there is a factory warranty. I checked on that and found that the basic warranty expires at 36k. Has anyone ever taken a vehicle to the dealer just before the warranty dies to get a check up and see if there are any issues that should be addressed before the responsibility falls on the owner?
Old 06-04-2013, 11:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Check up"?!? as in a jeep doctor?
Is anything wrong with it? Yes, take it in. No, leave it home.
what are you gonna say to the dealer? ummm excuse me pls could you guys check everything out before I get bent over next month when the warranty ends and the wheels fall off? They will happily charge you to check all your fluid levels n such. and you will basically pay for something you could do yourself by just reading your jeep manual. I def wouldn't let a yota stealership look at tho, unless they are also a cert Chrysler stealership too. but honestly since your warranty is about to expire, I would recommend you start learning how to do things yourself or this hobby might get a lil costly for you? idk ur $$$
Old 06-04-2013, 04:48 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jk.bushwacker
"Check up"?!? as in a jeep doctor?
Is anything wrong with it? Yes, take it in. No, leave it home.
what are you gonna say to the dealer? ummm excuse me pls could you guys check everything out before I get bent over next month when the warranty ends and the wheels fall off? They will happily charge you to check all your fluid levels n such. and you will basically pay for something you could do yourself by just reading your jeep manual. I def wouldn't let a yota stealership look at tho, unless they are also a cert Chrysler stealership too. but honestly since your warranty is about to expire, I would recommend you start learning how to do things yourself or this hobby might get a lil costly for you? idk ur $$$
I've been building on a 1990 Cherokee for about 5 years. I know I will have to work on it from time to time, I just thought they could tell me if there was unusual wear or anything I should keep an eye on. I'm not yet familiar with Wranglers. I keep reading about the steering boxes going out on JKs and various wobbles and such. I'm feeling a slight "bump" through the steering when I come to a stop or wiggle the wheel when turning left. It's so slight I'm sure they would tell me it's "normal Jeep stuff" but I was hoping they would give it a once-over since I'm the second owner and the basic warranty is almost up. Judging by your reaction, they probably will not.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by paintedhands
I've been building on a 1990 Cherokee for about 5 years. I know I will have to work on it from time to time, I just thought they could tell me if there was unusual wear or anything I should keep an eye on. I'm not yet familiar with Wranglers. I keep reading about the steering boxes going out on JKs and various wobbles and such. I'm feeling a slight "bump" through the steering when I come to a stop or wiggle the wheel when turning left. It's so slight I'm sure they would tell me it's "normal Jeep stuff" but I was hoping they would give it a once-over since I'm the second owner and the basic warranty is almost up. Judging by your reaction, they probably will not.
If you're okay with spending ~100 bucks, take it to a different Chrysler dealer and say you are selling it and the potential owner wants a full inspection, if they find anything that would be warrantied take it to the dealer you normally would and have them repair it.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I never let anyone touch my Jeep but me. My wife: "Just let the shop fix that problem. You'll waste an entire Saturday on something that takes them 2 hours." Me: "You don't see me passing you off to other guys when you need some intimacy, do you? Why would I want some dude touching my Jeep?" Wife: "WTF are you talking about?" Me: "You're saying to take it in to a professional, right?" Wife: "yes." Me: "So when you want to get intimate with me I'm supposed to pass you off to some other guy?" Wife: "What planet are you on what are we talking about?" Me: answer the question. Wife: no if course not. Me: exactly. No I'm not letting some other guy do you. And besides having some other guys hands on my jeep feels kind of gay . Nothing wrong with being gay I just don't want to get intimate with a guy. Another mans hand on my jeep feels wrong in every way to me . so No I am not taking it into a shop. Wife: "What in God's name is wrong with you?" Me: If someone else handled your intimate needs who knows what problems would ensue. I would get you back with emotional problems or sexually transmitted diseases Ir some kind of issue. Same with the jeep. They don't care. Only I can get intimate with my jeep. I'm the only one who knows what it really needs. It's more like a story than a machine. You have to nurture your jeep just like you nurture your wife. I can practically trade it in for one brand-new but I don't want to. I like the scratches the broken seats the bumpers that are hanging off the fender that's cracked in half because you smashed into something. You keep wanting to get Botox I don't want you to do that either. I like you just the way you are. I look at you and I see a story. Quit wearing make up quit dying your hair so much. At 42 you are still smoking hot to me. The quality of our relationship is in response to the work we put into it. Naturally I would never let a guy interfere with that by getting intimate with you. The same exact thing applies to the jeep. Comprende?" Wife: nope. Not at all. I think you need help actually. I really don't think this is normal. Me: How many times of my jeep broken down on me? Zero. Your Volkswagen runs like shit because you keep letting other guys touch it. When it acts up you don't know the story behind it. Wife: Okay can we end this conversation it's getting a little scary.

There is your answer.

Last edited by spartan99; 06-04-2013 at 07:15 PM.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

^
Old 06-04-2013, 08:42 PM
JK Freak

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Your marriage may be in trouble, but your relationship with your Jeep is solid.
Spartan99, I salute you.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Haha.

Marriage is solid. Take rock solid care of her. As one should,

Last edited by spartan99; 06-05-2013 at 04:54 AM.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:07 AM
JK Newbie

Spartan99, that was the best analogy! I agree with you 100%. And obviously she didn't "get it..." It's a Jeep Thing! Keep taking care of your ladies!
Old 06-05-2013, 05:11 AM
JK Newbie

Funny I totally get what you are saying spartin99. I am no mechanic by trade but refuse to take the jeep into the stealer ship to let them do anything I can do myself. Regardless how long it takes me. Least I know it's done correct.

Quick Reply: Getting a "Check Up" under warranty?