Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Goodyear Sitent Armor on 2013 JKUR

Old 01-03-2013, 02:42 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Goodyear Sitent Armor on 2013 JKUR

Wanted new tires for winter driving so I put on Goodyear Silent Armor 255/75R17. Got new TPMS off ebay and worked without any issues. The Jeep Rubicon Unlimited ran very smooth on the way home this afternoon from the garage. I'm shure I'll get better MPG and handeling in snow. Anyone else use these on their Jeep Rubicon? They are not as tough looking as the stock mud tires but look to be very capable.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:01 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Silent Armor Tires

1. Silent Armor tires are All Terrain (A/T) tires. They are also top rated for ice, snow and wet surface on road travel. While they may not look as aggressive as the BFG Mud Terrains, they do have two steel belts and one of Kevlar. The BFG lacks the Kevlar belt. They are very quiet on road (Silent) and your gas mileage should improve over all. Off road the Silent Armor will hold its own in sand, gravel, moderate rocks and on most fire and logging trails. I found it particularly good on slick rock, like you find around Moab.

2. That all being said, this is an A/T tire. It sucks in mud and rock crawling trails. It is, after all, an A/T tire.

3. I put over 30K miles on the last set I had on my '08 JKU X. As soon as I can save up a few dollars, I will have a set on my 2012 JKU Sahara. These are the best A/T tires I have ever had on a Jeep in the past 15 years. They are much better than the BFG A/T (KO) which a lot of folks consider the A/T standard.

4. Use them and designed and they will never let you down.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:53 PM
JK Newbie

I replaced the OEM Goodyear Wranglers on my JK with 255/75/17 Silent Armors a year ago. They are great on road tires that grip very well in rain and dry pavement, but they suck on mud. Turn into giant dirt doughnuts. That being said, I do moderate trails, always with a buddy with a winch, so it's not a problem. I have the 23S package (same as Rubi but without lockers) and he has a Rubi with MT's. I have been able to ascend fairly muddy hills with him, but have to spin the wheels fairly fast to keep the mud cleared.

I am considering MT's next time around.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:56 PM
JK Newbie

I agree with the comparison to BFG AT KO's. I ran them on my Pathfinder for 20 years (200K miles) and the SA's are way better, both on wet pavement and off road.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:17 PM
JK Newbie

Default Sitent Armor

Sounds like I made the right purchase on snow tires. Yes, like you all have said the Goodyear isn't the best mud and extream off road tires. I wll put the OE tires back on for spring thru fall use for both off road and beach travel. Was able to pick up a second set of take off Rubi tires and wheels so I now have two set of OE tires and wheel + the Silent Armors. These tires should get me 100,000 miles. The mechanic told me his buddy runs the BF Mud and only gets 30K miles out of them. Now time to buy bumpers and leveling kit with new shocks

Quick Reply: Goodyear Sitent Armor on 2013 JKUR