Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

What Mileage Does Auto Give Out?

Old 01-02-2013, 12:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Mileage Does Auto Give Out?

Just wondering how long the transmissions should last! Just for chuckles, when did you need to fix your auto transmission at what mileage. Owned several Jeeps in the past 15 years and all are sticks. I have a 2012 first auto I've owned.... I like how auto treats me during rush hours in 5 mile an hour traffic, but wondering when to expect Chrysler or Mercedes quality defects to show...
Old 01-02-2013, 04:14 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There are no inherent problems with the Auto that I am aware of. Mine has 95K and still going strong. Just like any other piece of equipment. You take care of it. And it will take care of you.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:18 AM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Change oil and filter when required and you should be fine.An extra trans cooler helps out too
Old 01-02-2013, 08:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

They fail at exactly 102,324.0 miles, +/- 250 feet. If you get close to that number, I suggest you drive around the dealership in circles until you get to that exact value, so when it breaks down you can just push the vehicle in and have it worked on.

Actually, time and mileage for the JK auto trans varies, like it does with any vehicle. It all depends on how you drive it, how you maintain it. In my experience with auto-trans vehicles, I'd expect any of them to last at least 100k with how I drive and maintain my stuff, with the exception of the Ford AOD trans in the Taurus which is a ticking time bomb the day it's installed at the factory.

If you're really really worried, look into getting an upgraded (or adding) a transmission cooler, and follow the maintenance schedule religiously, or even prematurely. This is especially important if you go off-roading, and you might want to install a trans-temp gauge. A cool auto trans is a happy auto trans.

There are associated costs with manual transmission failures, so it's not like we get off easy either. Clutches go out, syncros turn into dust, etc.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The OP has a 2012 auto? Doesn't that use a newer transmission different from the old 3.8L engine? I am not sure how "new" the tranny is and if its been in other vehicles long enought to see if there are any issues but I'd do some google searches on that. It might give you some ideas of other common problems.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:52 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jk_sea
They fail at exactly 102,324.0 miles, +/- 250 feet. If you get close to that number, I suggest you drive around the dealership in circles until you get to that exact value, so when it breaks down you can just push the vehicle in and have it worked on.

Actually, time and mileage for the JK auto trans varies, like it does with any vehicle. It all depends on how you drive it, how you maintain it. In my experience with auto-trans vehicles, I'd expect any of them to last at least 100k with how I drive and maintain my stuff, with the exception of the Ford AOD trans in the Taurus which is a ticking time bomb the day it's installed at the factory.

If you're really really worried, look into getting an upgraded (or adding) a transmission cooler, and follow the maintenance schedule religiously, or even prematurely. This is especially important if you go off-roading, and you might want to install a trans-temp gauge. A cool auto trans is a happy auto trans.

There are associated costs with manual transmission failures, so it's not like we get off easy either. Clutches go out, syncros turn into dust, etc.
I was told 102,328, +/- 250ft...
Old 01-02-2013, 10:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ninjajmoney
I was told 102,328, +/- 250ft...
Oh man, I wouldn't chance it...

To the OP-- if you want to read more about your auto transmission, It's the Daimler-AG W5A580 (NAG1 in Chrysler speak) 5-speed automatic.

Mercedes-Benz 5G-Tronic transmission - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 01-03-2013, 12:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

I always wondered if the cooler was just for hauling.... But in high temps, heavy use on the highways... That's a good thought! 102k is fair enough in this day in age... Most Chrysler and Benz friends have complained to me around 50 to 75 before major repairs.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:27 PM
JK Newbie

One of the problems that a few of my fellow Rural carriers who have JKU RHD's have are tranny problems because of our job. I just had my 2010 in the dealer today as the tranny went into "limp mode" while out on my route on Monday. Dealer had to replace the valve body solenoid pack as this was done already on most of my friends JKU's. My Mail route has over 50 miles and over 700 stops, so my next investment is a good tranny cooler! My rig has a little over 33K miles. At least it was still covered under warrantee!

Quick Reply: What Mileage Does Auto Give Out?