Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Grind when turning on AC

Old 10-16-2008, 11:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grind when turning on AC

Hey guys. So when I turn my AC on for the first time during my drive, there is a loud grinding noise that last for about a second. The revs drop a little bit and I can feel the Jeep lose some power, but its only for a second. The AC is noisy for about 30 seconds, then quiets down considerably. After the turning the AC on the first time, I can turn it off and back on as many times as I like without any issues. However, once I park the Jeep and it cools down, the next time I drive it the same thing will happen. Is this normal, or has anyone had this happen to them? Thanks!
Old 10-16-2008, 11:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have had this SAME EXACT thing happen to me 2 or 3 times. However, it seems to have stopped..... It happened like 2 or 3 times exactly how you describe, and then just stopped doing it and worked normally.

I had no idea what it was and when the Jeep nearly stalled from it, I was worried...but it just stopped happening?

Anyone have any input?
Old 10-16-2008, 12:09 PM
JK Newbie

I had this problem on my previous car. I found that the belt was either loose or has got some oil on it that causes it to slip and make a squeek sound. This might be the prob but i'm not sure if the grind that you hear is like the squeek that i heard.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:18 PM
rloose

Default Same Problem

I have the same problem on an 08 Wrangler 4 door. Anytime the jeep sits for more than 24 hrs. I get a "crunch/grind" on startup. It will do it even if the A/C is not turned on. Sometimes it won't do it until I engage the A/C. After that first time it won't do it again on restart until it has been sitting for at least 12 -24hrs.

I had a friend watch under the hood on a startup after 24 hrs. He said the noise is coming from the A/C compressor when the clutch engages. The noise is loud, enough to startle you and passengers ask "what the hell was that?"

I'm trying to figure out a way to leave it the dealer over a weekend so they can hear it on a Monday. It is not a "normal" operating sound. Why does the long sitting induce the problem?

The A/C works fine though I do get a "whining/buzz" out of the engaged compressor around 2000 rpm after the A/C has been running a while and the engine is warmed up.

There are a few other threads here that describe the same thing. But no solution so far.

Rich
Old 10-16-2008, 03:59 PM
JK Newbie

i have had the same thing happen to me a couple times. does it for a second when starting the engine even when the AC isnt on. guess ill call the dealer tomorrow since now i know its not just me
Allen
Old 10-16-2008, 05:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

rloose, you described it much better than i did. it makes me cringe every time that it happens, it just sounds like something is about to break. i will also try to take it to the dealer and see what they tell me. thanks guys!
Old 10-16-2008, 05:50 PM
JK Freak

mine did it once, so i took apart the fan box (under the dash, passenger side) it sounded like the fan was hitting something. nothing was broken in the box, so i put in back together. i didn't fix anything, but no noise for over three months.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:47 PM
JK Freak

Keep everyone updated guys. Thanks!
Old 10-17-2008, 12:47 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default probably not a bad problem...

It sounds like your a/c clutch is rough. This is a machined steel plate assembly attached to the compresser shaft. When you turn on the a/c, current is passed into the ring surrounding the plate, causing it to become a strong electrmagnet. This locks the belt pulley and the compresser shaft together, causing the compresser to circulate the 134a, and you have a/c! Your clutch could have grit in it, a warped plate, mud in it, a bad pulley. Normally a little roughness in a compresser clutch will smooth out with use. Cycle your a/c on and off 5 or 6 times while driving for a week or so and see if that smooths it up.....Remember your a/c works as a drier for interior air, thats why you will hear the clutch engage sometimes and the a/c is ''off''.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:06 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine does it.

figured it was just another "bonus feature"

Quick Reply: Grind when turning on AC