Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Hard to shift

Old 02-08-2011, 01:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard to shift

I thought I would find this while searching but didn't - user error?

Anyway, my Jeep had an issue about 6 months or so ago where it was REALLY hard to shift (full weight behind shifter). The stealer drained some (transmission?) fluid which I was dubious on. It worked... until now.

I assume it has something to do with the freezing temperatures. This evening I noticed that the Jeep was trying to move before it was actually in gear. IE: clutch in, push shifter into 1 - it won't go in but the Jeep is creeping forward.

I guess I need to call the dealer again.
Glad I have that extended warranty
Old 02-08-2011, 03:15 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like your clutch isn't completely disengaging if it creeps forward with the clutch fully pushed in and if it is difficult to get into gear. Does it grind at all when trying to push it into gear?

Old 02-08-2011, 05:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

This sounds like my second gear, which does grind at times. Not a lot, but it does happen. I've had the dealer look at it a few times. They don't seem to have the problem when they drive it.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

It doesn't really go in gear - sometimes second, third or fourth. There MAY be a difference when warm and I notice the problem disappears randomly. When getting it in gear there's less of a grind, more of a "clunk".
Old 02-09-2011, 02:43 AM
JK Junkie

This is obviously slightly different than what you are experiencing, but I thought I'd throw it out there as a suggestion...

I had an issue shifting as well. The shifter felt sluggish between 1st and 2nd, and it took a litte bit of force to get it to go into 2nd. Especially on cold days.

Now, I didn't have this issue of it wanting to go forward while in neutral, and I didn't have to put my whole weight into it to shift... so that's where it differs...

But, at 32K I changed my transmission fluid, and that took care of all the sluggishness in shifting. Perhaps this is part of the problem you are having... worth a try if you haven't changed your fluid recently.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

When it's cold outside my JK doesn't like to go into 1st or 2nd gear, but after I get going it's fine. I'll try and change my tranny fluid again but I just bought it in September and the dealer said they changed all fluids prior to me buying it, which may have been a lie. That dealership is awful with their customer service.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

It's currently at the shop. Based on my description he figured a slave cylinder issue. All I know is - it better be covered by the extended warranty or I will be on the war path.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

ugh... problem went away on the way to the shop. Who wants to start a pool on how long it will be before the problem returns?
Old 02-09-2011, 01:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Elegabalus
ugh... problem went away on the way to the shop. Who wants to start a pool on how long it will be before the problem returns?
My money says (based on my luck and experience) that if it goes in they won't find a problem and can never duplicate the problem you have. Although my luck has never been that good, some people can get a dealer to replicate the problem.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Have you checked the brake fluid, I think the slave cylinder shares this also. You may want to try and bleed the slave cylinder also.

Quick Reply: Hard to shift