Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Hard top freedom panels - different question

Old 01-17-2008, 04:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard top freedom panels - different question

I did a search and didn't find anything on this. Different spin on the leak situation.

The Jeep has been to the dealership 3 times now to fix the infamous leak. The most recent trip they tried something different. According to the guy working on it, I had the panels installed wrong. I referenced the owner's manual and he stated I interpreted it incorrectly. We proceded to argue about the "spacer blocks".

Take a look at page 128 in the owner's manual. When reading the section titled "Front Panel(s) installation Only with rear hard top removed" it states to move the spacer block upward 90 degrees. Then take a look at the picture. It shows flipping the spacer blocks down but shows the rear hard top on.

The question is this: When BOTH the rear hard top AND the front panels are installed, should the spacer blocks be extended or folded flush?

What have you been told and/or what do you do?

FWIW... not sure if this helps any of you with leaking tops but this is Jeep Wrangler #6 for me over the years and 5 of them have had factory hard tops. EVERY single one has leaked!
Old 01-18-2008, 05:00 AM
JK Newbie

Mine are folded flush. The only reason to extend them is when the rear hard top is OFF and you're using the freedom panels as a bikini.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:11 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Aolec
Mine are folded flush. The only reason to extend them is when the rear hard top is OFF and you're using the freedom panels as a bikini.
^^^ What he said. ^^^
Old 01-18-2008, 05:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Spacer blocks? Are these on the panels or on the JK? I bought my top after I bought the Jeep and didn't see any spacer blocks anywhere.

I don't have any leaks either.
Old 01-18-2008, 06:10 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by riverzendz
Spacer blocks? Are these on the panels or on the JK? I bought my top after I bought the Jeep and didn't see any spacer blocks anywhere.
They are on the panels. They are little feet near the back of the panel that flip down. This prevents the screws from going through the panel when you tighten them and the rear section is off.
Old 01-18-2008, 06:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Aolec
That's exactly how I've been doing it. The dealership stated the other way. I told them that if that was the case, there would be no need for them to be able to fold; they could just be stationary. They just stared at me.

My concern is that they are chasing and trying to fix a leak with them installed wrong. May be time for another dealership.

Thanks for confirming everyone
Old 01-18-2008, 09:37 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by AdamH
They just stared at me.
There is no worse feeling than that blank deer in the headlights look from your service department....
Old 01-18-2008, 10:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

LOL seriously

I had to go through arbitration on my '97 Sport (Lemon) when it was new. The Chrysler rep that came down quizzed the dealership in front of me proving I knew more about the Jeep than they did. Not the best thing to do in front of a customer but funny none the less!

Quick Reply: Hard top freedom panels - different question