Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Hardtop storage question

Old 02-23-2011, 03:38 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hardtop storage question

This is probably a very stupid question, but I figured I'd ask anyway, before I go against my better judgement and break it. Since I have very limited space in my garage, I was wondering if storing the hard top on it's side against the wall would be a bad idea? (scratching it shouldn't be an issue since I'll probably set it on something soft and cover it...)
Old 02-23-2011, 03:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ArtSki
This is probably a very stupid question, but I figured I'd ask anyway, before I go against my better judgement and break it. Since I have very limited space in my garage, I was wondering if storing the hard top on it's side against the wall would be a bad idea? (scratching it shouldn't be an issue since I'll probably set it on something soft and cover it...)
I don't think I'd leave it on it's side. I built an up-right stand for mine, similar to the ones that you can buy. I think it's a better option to store it standing up-right on the back end rather than the side.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:51 AM
JK Newbie

You might want to think about building a storage stand for it.

I measured the hieght of just the hard top, then built a large platform/table for it, leaving a few inches between the top of the hard top and the garage ceiling. Works great I store all of my camping gear under the top and park my ATVs under the platform. I also attached hooks around the perimeter to hang coats, helments and eletrical cords and so on. Great use of space.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:05 AM
JK Newbie

If I store it the proper way, then I won't have enough space in my garage to park my jeep. Thats what I get for living in a condo...
Old 02-23-2011, 04:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Can u pick up a Hoist-A-Top & hang it from the ceiling?!
Old 02-23-2011, 04:11 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resQace
Can u pick up a Hoist-A-Top & hang it from the ceiling?!
That might be possible, though the ceiling is kind of low, I will have to measure it.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Can you install a hoist? otherwise standup and brace on the rear glass.... Good Luck
Old 02-23-2011, 07:56 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

If you're creative, you can make something like I've linked below. There are at least several write-ups on how to do that. The advantage with the one I've linked is that it can store two doors (sort of--ask me for details) and the Freedom Top panels in the same footprint. I've never seen anyone provide that in the write-ups section (but, then as my youngest son is quick to point out, I'm not all-knowing either!).

Bestop HOSS Hardtop and Door Storage Solution
Old 02-23-2011, 08:41 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
If you're creative, you can make something like I've linked below. There are at least several write-ups on how to do that. The advantage with the one I've linked is that it can store two doors (sort of--ask me for details) and the Freedom Top panels in the same footprint. I've never seen anyone provide that in the write-ups section (but, then as my youngest son is quick to point out, I'm not all-knowing either!).

Bestop HOSS Hardtop and Door Storage Solution
That is exactly what I was hoping to find, that will fit perfect! Thank you very much!
Old 02-23-2011, 08:44 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would think building that would be muuuccchhhh cheaper than $370....even if it had to be made out of wood and then pad the wood where the edges meat the glass, etc. Platform on casters, some extra vertical slots for the panels....you'll be in business

Quick Reply: Hardtop storage question