Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Help!!! 2012 JKU Showing Signs of Rust

Old 04-29-2012, 06:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

auto rack car on trains are not open. vehicles are pretty well protected.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cosmos_Blue
I have a 2012 Rubicon that is only 4 months old with 1700 miles on it. On Friday when I was washing it, I noticed pitting on the hood and front grill that looks like rust (see pic). I haven't noticed it anywhere else, but it's pretty bad.

I tried to call the dealership service department but got their voicemail and they didn't return my call. I'll be calling them again on Monday.

Note: I do live in Hawaii and the Jeep was delivered by ship from San Diego.

Attachment 310577
The grill can't rust. Take it back to the dealer and complain. I don't know which one sold it to you (my guess is Cutter) but they'll say the warranty doesn't cover rust. True, bbut a 4-month old car shouldn't be rusting.
Make sure you get some good wax on the Jeep. Our salt air will eat anything after a while.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:17 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by MrCourtney
The grill can't rust. Take it back to the dealer and complain. I don't know which one sold it to you (my guess is Cutter) but they'll say the warranty doesn't cover rust. True, bbut a 4-month old car shouldn't be rusting.
Make sure you get some good wax on the Jeep. Our salt air will eat anything after a while.
I bought the Jeep through AAFES new car sales when I was deployed and took delivery of it at Cutter at Pearl City. I called up the Service Dept and they want me to drop it so they can take photos of it. They said it's not normally covered under warranty, but they will see if they can get authorization with photos of damage.

Thanks for the tip on waxing. My Jeep is pretty clean and I always ICE it after each wash. I've noticed my antenna is starting to rust already also. Thinking of what I want to do with it.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:37 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree. Use to see that problem a lot when I was in the paint industry.

Clay bar with lubra-shine then wax and you should be good!
Old 04-30-2012, 06:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

I bought the Jeep through AAFES new car sales when I was deployed and took delivery of it at Cutter at Pearl City. I called up the Service Dept and they want me to drop it so they can take photos of it. They said it's not normally covered under warranty, but they will see if they can get authorization with photos of damage.

Thanks for the tip on waxing. My Jeep is pretty clean and I always ICE it after each wash. I've noticed my antenna is starting to rust already also. Thinking of what I want to do with it.
I use ICE too but it's more a sealant than a wax. I like it because it doesn't leave any gray crud on the black fenders if I get sloppy. But still, try to lay down a good quality wax occasionally.

I've driven by the PC Cutter a few times and the one thing I've seen is the kid out back prepping a new car scrubbing it with an old push broom. Couldn't believe it.

Dump the antenna and get the 14" from antennax.com
Looks much better than stock and no reception problems here.

Good luck with the service folks. Let us know what happens.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:52 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by MrCourtney
I use ICE too but it's more a sealant than a wax. I like it because it doesn't leave any gray crud on the black fenders if I get sloppy. But still, try to lay down a good quality wax occasionally.

I've driven by the PC Cutter a few times and the one thing I've seen is the kid out back prepping a new car scrubbing it with an old push broom. Couldn't believe it.

Dump the antenna and get the 14" from antennax.com
Looks much better than stock and no reception problems here.

Good luck with the service folks. Let us know what happens.
I stopped by PC Cutter today and they took some pictures. They asked who installed my bumpers, thinking that maybe they got metal shavings on the paint. I told them they are bolt on.. nice try. They asked if I lived in an industrial area.. no. Because the rust is only visable on the hood and grill, they think I drove behind something. There is one guy I really like in the parts dept, I'm quickly learning that everyone else there is an idiot.

They want to try detailing it first before considering re-paint. I'm concerned by your broom statment.. if I saw someone taking a broom to my Jeep I would come un-glued. My detail appointment is on Friday morning. I "was" thinking of letting them detail it really good and get most of it out and then follow them with a clay bar. I'm thinking about canceling my appointment and doing it myself.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

They want to try detailing it first before considering re-paint. I'm concerned by your broom statment.. if I saw someone taking a broom to my Jeep I would come un-glued. My detail appointment is on Friday morning. I "was" thinking of letting them detail it really good and get most of it out and then follow them with a clay bar. I'm thinking about canceling my appointment and doing it myself.
I agree with you. I stopped by yesterday to ask if the Mygig RHB NAV radio I bought on eBay was plug and play to swap with the stock RES in my Jeep. The parts guy didn't know and also didn't know there's only one antenna for both the SAT radio and GPS - they share one.
He called some other guy and then handed me a long list of parts I would have to buy as well as make an appointment to flash the radio to make it work. I said "Thanks. See ya", went home and swapped the radios. 45 minutes later I has a fully functional RHB NAV radio in the Jeep.

Anyway --
The kid works in a tent that's set up in the back just next to the entrance off 4th Avenue (guessing at the street name). He's working all the time so if you come in through the back you might see him scrubbing away with his push broom.
It maybe be worth the time to drive by once or twice before Friday and take a look.
The entrance you probably usually go through is at the top - off Kam Highway. Just hang a right on Lehua and go around to the back and come in that side.
Let us know how it turns out.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Detailing tent.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	314470

Last edited by MrCourtney; 05-08-2012 at 05:58 PM.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just checked mine. Picked it up last week. Thank God my plastic isn't rusting yet!
Old 05-09-2012, 06:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by olram30
auto rack car on trains are not open. vehicles are pretty well protected.
False. You can see through them.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:56 AM
JK Newbie

So.. I rescheduled my appointment at the dealership to have my Jeep detailed so I could try to do it myself first. I started with a clay bay (first time) and it was pulling a lot of stuff out but wasn't getting rid of the rust spots. I was getting frustrated. I really didn't want to have my hood and grill painted. After using the clay bar on my hood and grill I used Meguires cleaner wax. I noticed when I was removing the wax, if I rubbed harder the rust was coming up. I put another layer of cleaner wax on and spent a lot of time rubbing the spots out. I got most of them up. I now know that repeat waxes should remove them completely. I finished with a coat of Meguiar's NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0.

I didn't clay the entire jeep, but put a good coat of cleaner wax and NXT on it. The paint is SMOOTH!!!

Now, time to get it dirty tomorrow.

Thanks for your post with tips! Saved me an unwanted paint job.

Quick Reply: Help!!! 2012 JKU Showing Signs of Rust