Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Help With E-Brake Replacement

Old 08-29-2019, 10:06 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help With E-Brake Replacement

Okay, so I installed new pads and rotors on the rear of my 2014 JK Sport. Problem is that the passenger side emergency brake shoes were so worn into the rotor that I ended up destroying all of it to get the rotor off. No problem, it's all been removed and I purchased new shoes & the hardware kit to replace it. I've been driving for a few weeks with no emergency brake.

So now I'm trying to find the best way to install the new shoes & hardware. I've watched some videos on Youtube and it seems like a major PITA. Is there a recommended write-up here somewhere?

Also, it seems from watching the videos that removing the axle shaft would make the installation MUCH easier...thoughts? Advice? Recommendations?
Old 08-29-2019, 02:00 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you haven't ever done drum brakes before it could be a PIA. Removing the axle shaft is not a good idea and doesn't need to be done. Did you back the e brake right off before pulling the disc?

Last edited by Shortbuss; 08-29-2019 at 02:01 PM. Reason: why not
Old 08-29-2019, 02:33 PM
JK Newbie

The adjuster was seized so that was not an option. I was able to do that for the driver side but not the passenger side.
Old 08-29-2019, 06:04 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Pulling the axle shaft and reinstalling adds about 10-15 minutes to each side, tops. Jack up one side at a time as you do it and you won't even lose fluid. I guarantee attempting to replace the shoes by working around the shaft flange will take you at least twice as long and raise your frustration meter. YMMV
Old 08-29-2019, 06:07 PM
JK Newbie

Is it that easy to remove the axle?

Basically 4 nuts on the studs and the ABS sensor plug.

Am I missing anything?

Any tips?
Old 08-29-2019, 06:28 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Exactly and just pull the entire assembly out with the axle. You can even replace the shoes working with the backing plate on your workbench. If you really want be thorough, replace the wheel sensors at $20ish each while you're there and pick up a couple of new connectors at around $4 each (Standard S284 I believe). The locking mechanism on the OEM connectors tends to fall apart. Be careful with the seal going back together.

Quick Reply: Help With E-Brake Replacement