Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Help! Jeep got rained in and the steering wheel controls won't work!

Old 09-04-2011, 08:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Jeep got rained in and the steering wheel controls won't work!

My 2011 JK Sport got rained in last night during an unexpected downpour and now and now all the controls on the steering column won't work-- headlights, turn signal, cruise control, radio controls, etc. Will it fix itself when it dries or did something get fried? If it is permanent, will warranty cover it?

This isn't my first Jeep and all the others (including my other 2011) have been rain in but I've never had this problem. Thanks in advance!
Old 09-04-2011, 08:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

This just happened to me a couple weeks ago. I lost my cruise control and horn. Two days later everything dried out and came back to life. No problems since.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2007JKX
My 2011 JK Sport got rained in last night during an unexpected downpour and now and now all the controls on the steering column won't work-- headlights, turn signal, cruise control, radio controls, etc. Will it fix itself when it dries or did something get fried? If it is permanent, will warranty cover it?

This isn't my first Jeep and all the others (including my other 2011) have been rain in but I've never had this problem. Thanks in advance!
Happens to everyone, it's a Jeep and the top comes off. First time it happened lost steering wheel buttons. Last time the OD button and stereo buttons quit. Took to dealer and they're covering under warranty. Parts came in Friday so have appt for next week.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:09 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Put a fan on high blowing on it to help dry it out.
Old 09-04-2011, 05:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have started carrying a plastic bag in the back. I stick it over the steering column if the Jeep is out with no roof and good chance of rain.

Sounds silly, but it has got wet a few times, and no loss of controls or trip to dealer.

Quick Reply: Help! Jeep got rained in and the steering wheel controls won't work!